Skip to main content

Sarah Woodham Progress

A number of visitor's to the blog wanted to see a progress picture of my latest project -- Shakespeare's Peddler Sarah Woodham. So without further delay, here is my progress using the recommended threads on 40-ct light exampler.  I started the project in early December after completing the Jenny Bean Halloween Sampler.


The picture looks a little dark.  Once finished I will take a picture using better lighting.  Still trying to get use to taking pictures of my projects.

I was able to get the honeysuckle (at least that is what I think the flowers are) vine completed last night.  So now just need to work on the flowers themselves.  That should go fairly quickly since they are not full flowers and only two colors. Need to force myself to do some more of the verse.  I am doing in with half crosses (or tent) since it is over one.  On the 40-ct fabric they looked a little bulky. I also changed the color of the large trees on the left and right side.  The pattern has them charted using the color Mocha but mine is a dark muddy brown color. I prefer green trees, so I substituted with the Coastal Seaweed which is only used on the outline of the bird on the left.  It goes well with the blue used in the vases.

Comments

Margaret said…
Your Sarah is gorgeous!! I like your substitution of the green color for the trees. I did the left tree (the only one I've stitched so far) in the Mocha color and it actually looks fine, but I was puzzled by the brown too. lol! You're smart to do the tent over one. I'm stubborn -- I'm doing mine with a full cross.
Siobhán said…
Sarah looks great! I have everything ready to go, just need to start it. I'll take note of the color change so I can decide when I'm at the point of stitching the tree. I plan to do the verse in tent, too.
Sylvia said…
Robert, I just found you. You have such a wonderful talent for stitching. Love your Sarah, and many others you have taken pics of. Your Dutch Beauty on the Tudor Rose Blog is amazing. Hope to see you while I'm here.
Deb said…
It's looks absolutely fantastic. I like your substitutions and will have to make a note of it for when I start mine. You've given me some inspiration with the over one for the lettering. I'm working on a sampler now where the lettering is over one on 40 count. I debated changing out the fabric, but now I'm thinking that it will look perfectly fine in tent stitch as yours does in your picture.
Sandy said…
Sarah's just beautiful, Robert. Gorgeous colors! Thanks so much for sharing your changes with us. I hadn't realized that Mocha was used for the trees, so will definitely make note of your green substitute. I think you're right, too, about the flower border being honeysuckle (for enduring faith and devotion). I LOVE this verse, although I'm quite anxious about the over-one stitching ... yikes.
Casa Pearl said…
Your Sara is looking fabulous. It's funny how you can not notice a piece until you see someone stitching it - twice today! scarlet house is also working on this, and I find I need to add it to my "need it" list. Wonderful stitching!
Michelle said…
Sarah is gorgeous! I love that border. Good call on switching out the Mocha on the trees - it looks great with the green. I am going to have to stitch this one, sooner rather than later!
samplerlover said…
My friend Deb told me to check out your blog to see your amazing work. She is right, your work is really beautiful.
I agree with the girls Sarah is gorgeous and the border is really lovely. Hate borders, but is besides the point. They are a necessary evil lol.
Oh wow, oh wow...your Sarah is just lovely. I just finished one of the big trees tonight on mine. I wish I had my border all outlined like yours. I'm a border procastinator.
I loved hearing from you, but didn't have time to answer back yet. So we are both Boston lovers. I bet your Dexter is a wonderful son!
Katrina said…
Oh wow Robert gorgeous! And thanks for the note on the color change. I am with you, the trees should be green :-).
Unknown said…
I just discovered your blog thanks to Margaret - between you, Tanya, and Margaret it is going to be hard resisting Sarah - I have too many WIP and not enough time.

Sarah is beautiful, great progress. I look forward to seeing more.
Natalia said…
Hello Robert. You do beautiful work and it is nice to see a man stitcher!! I am curious, do you belong to the Tudor Rose Sampler Guild? If you do, I think I have met you. I used to belong to it until I moved to CO. I am a friend of Kathy from the Stitch Niche in Arlington. I think I even bought a chart of a sampler from you !! :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Back in the Game!

Once again I have been away from my blog for way too long.  I get caught up in a lot of other things rather than posting pics of starts and finishes. These last couple of months have gone by way too fast. I have received a couple of messages from some followers making sure I was okay and looking forward to an update. I do have a few finishes and will spread these out over the next couple of weeks. First up is one that had been in the WIP pile for a long time -- Not For Us Alone from Amy Mitten.  Amy taught this piece at the Tudor Rose Sampler Guild back in the early 2000's (I cannot remember the date/year that I took the class). A friend of mine took the class with me and she had finished hers a long time ago. She recently moved and hung the sampler in her dining room.  So needless to say every time I go over to her house it was taunting me to get mine finished.  So here is my completed Not For Us Alone. Amy Mitten Designs Kit -Worked on 36-ct ...

Mary Allen 1818 Finished!

Once again I must thank all of you for your kind words and comments on my blog. I have meet some wonderful people in this venture who share the same passion for needlework. I was really surprised when I went to compose my blog post today and noticed that I have 199 followers. I will put something together for a little drawing so please stay posted. We finally have some decent weather in Texas (no +100F days since we had a cool front that moved into the area last night). Our high temperature for the day was only 81F and expected to get down into the low 60s overnight.  I could get use to this but we are expected to get back into the lower 90's by the end of the week.  But it is still try (no measureable rain received or expected) leaving us still in a severe drought situation. So we are still praying for rain. My goal was to finish Sampler's Rembered Mary Allen 1818 by Labor Day and I put the last stitches in on Saturday, September 3. ...

Back in the Saddle!

Hello to all my fellow stitchers/bloggers and thank you for stopping by! I cannot believe that it has been over 2 months since my last post. Where does the time go? I have been away from the blogging world due to some unforeseen health issues. I have posted a brief summary and update at the end of this blog if you are interested. As stated in my last post, I lost a little bit of my mojo in the stitching realm. I could not focus on any of my projects. I decided to focus on the Mexican Schoolgirl Practice Sampler c1830 by Samplers Remembered . This one had some bright colors and different motifs which at least made me feel like I was making some progress. Worked on 40-ct Porcelain Lakeside Linen using DMC and the recommended Waterlilies. After this was completed I decided to start Sarah Elizabeth Brooke’s 1842 by The Scarlet House . This was a very fun stitch and kept me occupied during my recovery from surgery. I stitched the grassy area at the bottom of the sampler us...