Skip to main content

Sarah Woodham Completed

I finally finished Shakespeares Peddler's Sarah Woodham. The colors in this are really nice. I got a little tired of the border but it is one of those things that you can stitch and not really have to reference the pattern all the time. 



Next up on my list of items to finish is Samplers and Such's Rhoda Hastings 1863.  I am a little over half way done with this sampler.  I really like all of the little motifs and the saying:

"Go Like your heavenly father feed the poor
 carry comfort to the sick mans door
pity the widow be the orphans friend
and if you cannot give then freely lend".   




This sampler was started last year on 40-ct Lakeside Linen Pearled Barley using HDF threads.

Comments

Margaret said…
Beautiful finish! I love Sarah Woodham so much! The border is definitely monotonous, but the good thing like you said it that you can stitch it without looking at the chart. Congrats!

I love your Rhoda Hastings. I've never seen it before. Lovely!
Glenna said…
I haven't seen Rhoda before either! Oh, dear--another temptation. Your Sarah Woodham is wonderful, and it makes me want to stitch it even more. I'm curious: have you got your eye on anything from Market? And do you have a lot of WIPs at any one time, or just one or two?
Robert said…
I do not have anything in particular at market that I have been eyeing. I am interested in doing the new Jenny Bean by Shakespeare Peddler. Lately I am drawn to reproduction samplers. I just ordered a couple from Scartlet Letter -- IRS 1738 (similar to the JCS 1707 that I just completed) and Lucretia Maus 1832. To be honest, I do have more than two WIPS. I tend to get bored with some designs and like to work on something else. Right now the other projects that I have going are the Waterfield Band Sampler and the Celtic Sampler - Wallace Part I by The Needle's Prayse. These allow me to do work and learn some other stitches. One of my least favorite stitches is Queen so the Wallace will most definitely help me learn those since it has a lot of areas that are filled in entirely in Queen stitches.

Thank you for your kind comments.
Siobhán said…
Wow, congratulations on a spectacular finish! Sarah is beautiful. Your Rhoda looks wonderful, too.
Deb said…
What a beautiful finish!! It looks absolutely wonderful. I know what you mean about those borders. They are not one of my favorite things to do. And I love Rhoda Hastings, I don't think that I've seen this piece before but your progress pic looks beautiful. I think I need to go on the hunt for this sampler!!
Laurie in Iowa said…
Your Sarah is beautiful. I also have not seen Rhoda Hastings and look forward to seeing your progress photos.
Sharlotte said…
Great finish Robert! You were lucky to get the pearled barley when you did.My local needlework shop tells me that it has been discontinued. The sampler you are stitching on it looks wonderful!
Nicole said…
Oh wow!!! Congrats on the finish Robert. It's so pretty! Love your Rhoda too - can't wait to see more! :)
Sandy said…
WOW! Sarah is gorgeous, Robert. I LOVE it.
SamplerNut said…
Robert... you just can't stop those fingers from stitching!! You are amazing and Sarah is beautiful. I expect to see her at the guild meeting next Tuesday. Hope you will be there!

Gloria
Michelle said…
Sarah is gorgeous! I decided I had to add this chart to my stash over the weekend. Love her! Congratulations on another lovely finish. I can't wait to see her in person. And wow - I love your Rhoda too!
Katrina said…
Sarah is gorgeous, congrats on the finish. I absolutely love Rhoda too, she needs to go on my have to have list :-).
joann in tx said…
your sarah woodham is gorgeous!
congrats on your finish!

i am new to your blog, but was wondering....
do you work outside the home or maybe you are
retired?
Robert said…
Thank you to all for your kind comments.

Joann - I am a full time consultant for a software development company in Addison, Texas. I travel international for my job so I can do some needlework in the evenings while watching television. While at home, I can usually stitich for a couple of hours most evenings while watching a movie or some television.
Anonymous said…
Congratulations on your latest finish! I'm a new reader to your blog and I love the photos you have posted so far. Several of them are either on my wish list, or I've already purchased them and want to start them yesterday. Like you, I have several other things that need to be finished first. I look foward to your future postings.

Terri
Raven/Missy said…
Congratulations on your finish, it is absolutely beautiful!
Tanya said…
I love Rhoda and congratulations on finishing Sarah! You rock!
Wonderful finish, Robert! I'm not too far behind you with mine, but I still have that over one verse staring me in the face. I can't wait to see more of Rhoda. I love the verse, too. You have excellent taste in samplers...so glad you are sharing your work through your blog.
Theresa said…
Thanks for sharing your lovely work with everyone. One of my customers just forwarded a link to me of your Sarah W. sampler, and she's gorgeous. Way to go! Can you imagine a little girl spending all of the time to stitch it? Keep going!
Ranae said…
Oh My Gosh! I just stumbled across your blog.
You do beautiful work, love the samplers.
Keep it up
Ranae
samplerlover said…
Hi Robert,
I have just come home from hospital after a knee replacement and have just checked out what you have been up to.

Congratulations on finishing Sarah. She is stunning. I also haven't seen Rhoda Hastings before. I shall look forward to seeing your progress on another stunning sampler - Sandra.
Thearica said…
I just found your blog while surfing this morning. I love your stitcheries!

I cannot cross stitch any longer due to my eyes and it is always a pleasure to see other people's work when it is as beautiful as yours!

Popular posts from this blog

Back in the Game!

Once again I have been away from my blog for way too long.  I get caught up in a lot of other things rather than posting pics of starts and finishes. These last couple of months have gone by way too fast. I have received a couple of messages from some followers making sure I was okay and looking forward to an update. I do have a few finishes and will spread these out over the next couple of weeks. First up is one that had been in the WIP pile for a long time -- Not For Us Alone from Amy Mitten.  Amy taught this piece at the Tudor Rose Sampler Guild back in the early 2000's (I cannot remember the date/year that I took the class). A friend of mine took the class with me and she had finished hers a long time ago. She recently moved and hung the sampler in her dining room.  So needless to say every time I go over to her house it was taunting me to get mine finished.  So here is my completed Not For Us Alone. Amy Mitten Designs Kit -Worked on 36-ct ...

Mary Allen 1818 Finished!

Once again I must thank all of you for your kind words and comments on my blog. I have meet some wonderful people in this venture who share the same passion for needlework. I was really surprised when I went to compose my blog post today and noticed that I have 199 followers. I will put something together for a little drawing so please stay posted. We finally have some decent weather in Texas (no +100F days since we had a cool front that moved into the area last night). Our high temperature for the day was only 81F and expected to get down into the low 60s overnight.  I could get use to this but we are expected to get back into the lower 90's by the end of the week.  But it is still try (no measureable rain received or expected) leaving us still in a severe drought situation. So we are still praying for rain. My goal was to finish Sampler's Rembered Mary Allen 1818 by Labor Day and I put the last stitches in on Saturday, September 3. ...

Christmas in July!

I would like to thank all of you for your kind comments, thoughts and prayers regarding my health issue. A brief update is provided at the end of the post. In my last post I had not yet decided whether to start something new or to finish something in my WIP pile.   It has been very hot here in North Texas so doing a couple of holiday pieces seemed to be in order. Jane Pattison 1806 by Shakespeare's Peddler I have had this chart in my stash since it first became available.   This piece really looks very looks and feels like a Christmas sampler with the border of green garland and candles.   I stitched this on 40-ct Lakeside linen using the recommended Gentle Arts Sampler Threads instead of the recommended wool threads. I did substitute the Harvest Basket with Gold Leaf since the Harvest Basket was very close in color to Cidermill Brown and I wanted to add a little bit of gold to the piece like in the picture on the pattern. I also stitch two bands...