Skip to main content

Back in the Saddle!

Hello to all my fellow stitchers/bloggers and thank you for stopping by!

I cannot believe that it has been over 2 months since my last post. Where does the time go? I have been away from the blogging world due to some unforeseen health issues. I have posted a brief summary and update at the end of this blog if you are interested.

As stated in my last post, I lost a little bit of my mojo in the stitching realm. I could not focus on any of my projects. I decided to focus on the Mexican Schoolgirl Practice Sampler c1830 by Samplers Remembered. This one had some bright colors and different motifs which at least made me feel like I was making some progress.




Worked on 40-ct Porcelain Lakeside Linen using DMC and the recommended Waterlilies.

After this was completed I decided to start Sarah Elizabeth Brooke’s 1842 by The Scarlet House. This was a very fun stitch and kept me occupied during my recovery from surgery. I stitched the grassy area at the bottom of the sampler using an encroaching gobelin stitch and the inside border using a long-arm cross.




Worked on 40-ct Pearled barley Linen using the recommended Belle Soie with two substitutions – HDF Midnight used in place of Old Crow and Belle Soie Puritan Blue for Belle Soie Herb Garden.

I then decided to get back to work on one of my many works in the progress – Elizabeth Sheffield by Scarlet Letter. I had started this one back in January 20122 (see post's here) and got a little bit tired of the over one. I did cheat a little bit – I only did the over one for the alphabet and wording – all other over one is just a tent stitch.




Worked on 35-count Beige Weeks Dye linen using the recommended DMC.

I have not decided what i want to stitch on next.  I would really like to finish one of my current starts but need to find something that will inspire me.  If not I guess a new start would not be a bad idea either. Always fun to put those first stiches of silk into a clean piece of linen!

As mentioned above I have been away for a while dealing with some health. I passed the 50 year old mark last year so I was late in getting to the doctor for my 50,000 mile check up. Part of this annual physical is a colonoscopy which I had completed at the end of April. Unfortunately during this procedure they found two polyps with one being diagnosed as cancerous. This required me to have a laparoscopic right colectomy to remove the affected part of my colon the first part of June. The biopsy of the removed colon showed that 3 of the 15 lymph nodes that were removed were cancerous. So my diagnosis was moved from Stage 1 to Stage 3 colon cancer. Based on this, I will be required to undergo chemo therapy. So over the past two weeks I have been meeting with the oncologist and undergo other testing to make sure that the cancer was only isolated to the colon and has not spread to any other parts of my body. I will start my chemo therapy in the next couple of weeks. As with anything thing in life you need to take it one step at a time. I am very blessed to have a very supportive family and friend network that has relived some of the stress on this journey. I will keep you all posted of my progress.

Thank you once again for dropping by my blog!

Comments

Giovanna said…
Oh Robert, I am so sorry to read about your health issues - I sincerely hope that everything will go the right way in the coming weeks.
Your finishes are all spectacular, congratulations!
Anonymous said…
What a relief to see that you are back and I enjoy the samplers you have finished very much. I discovered your weblog about a year ago and since then I frequently visited your blog (silent reader).
The past 2 months I looked every week to see if there was an update (for example of the beautiful Friesland winder's keeper of Amy Mitten), but there was no sign of your activities. At first I thougt that you were too busy to make an update, but the last 4 weeks I became worried and I wanted to ask you if you were ill. I didn't because you don't know me and I was afraid that you would consider it as rude/unpolite.
I wish you all the best during your chemotherapy and I hope you will recover soon.

Maria.
Vicki said…
As the days progressed without a posting from you, I wondered if everything was ok. Glad to hear you're being aggressive in treating your cancer. Praying for stamina and strength during chemo. For optimism. For your family. Your stitching is gorgeous as always. Glad you're back!
Vera said…
Best wishes Robert for a speedy and full recovery. I, too, had missed seeing your postings, so good to hear from you again. will keep you in my thoughts & prayers. Vera
Terri said…
Gorgeous stitching!! I really love these pieces!!!

Hugs and prayers!
Melissa said…
I am sorry to hear about your health issues, Robert. I wish you the best for getting rid of the cancer and a speedy recovery.

I am in awe of all your stitching! Absolutely gorgeous! I am particularly enamored with SEB and how you've used special stitches and added some blue in! Nice!

Take care!
Glenna said…
Robert, your samplers are beautiful as always.

Best of luck with your health issues. I'm so glad you got checked! I know that you will have some challenging days ahead with the chemo, but your needlework will help you pass the time, I'm sure! Hugs to you from this needleworker in Virgina.
Margaret said…
Robert, I'm so sorry to hear about your health. I've been putting off my colonoscopy too. I'd better get it done. Prayers will be sent to you -- I hope you recover quickly and conquer the cancer. You will be in my thoughts.

I can't believe how much stitching you've accomplished! All so beautiful too. It's good to see a post from you.
Erica said…
Robert, I am so sorry about your diagnosis. You seem to have a good attitude about it though. You really do have to slow it down and take it one step at a time. I will keep a good thought for you, and some prayers as well.
I hope you have an easy time dealing with the medical professionals as well.
Hang in there!
dixiesamplar said…
Lovely stitching, Robert! And I am so sorry to hear of your health issues...I wish you all the best in your treatments and a speedy and complete recovery. You have a wondefuly positive look at things that will go a long way to aiding your long-term recovery.
Laurie in Iowa said…
I'm so sorry to hear about your health issues. I'll be sending positive thoughts your way as you go through with your chemo.
I hope you are able to relieve some of the stress by continuing to stitch.
All your samplers are gorgeous.
Catherine said…
Thoughts and prayers are with you.
As always, your stitches are beautiful!
carol fun said…
Your samplers are awesome -such beautiful work! Sending prayers and positive thoughts your way for treatment and a speedy recovery!
Anna Zont said…
Best wishes Robert!
Your samplers are beautiful!
We will wait your new works!
Koala said…
All the best, Robert! Fight it with all your power, I wish you get well very soon!! I love visiting your blog and hope to see more stitches done :-)
Katrina said…
Roberts lots of prayers and good thoughts for a complete recovery as your go through chemotherapy!!!!!

Your stitching as always is gorgeous!!!!!!
Anonymous said…
Robert, you have everything you need to make it through this okay. With the support of your family it will be easier. It was nice to see your update and your beautiful work. God bless!
Angela
MeganH said…
Dear Robert,
I was going to say how very fine your work always is - then got to the second part of your post. I'm so very sorry. I hope that the chemo works really well for you. Thankfully they found it!
samplerlover said…
Robert, I am also sorry to hear about your health problems and wish you well. It sounds as if you have a very strong family support system to get you through this time. I have always found through some of the most toughest times in my life that the sheer joy of sitting down and stitching has got me through to the other side. I am sure that you will find the perfect sampler.

I must say that I love how your 3 samplers have come out. I don't have the first one, but I do have the other 2 in my "to do" box. I must remember how you did your Sarah Elizabeth. I quite like how she has come out. Good luck and you are in my prayers - Sandra.
SamplerNut said…
Robert my friend.....you are amazing!!!! Leave it to you to get so much done after you surgery! The Samplers are beautiful!!! You could work on your Christmas Garden and have it framed and hanging by next week! Looking forward to your visit to Arizona in August! Hope you do well with the chemo!!

Sending positive vibes your way!

Gloria
Shelly said…
Great to see a post from you; you do beautiful work.

Wishing you the best on your fight with cancer. Having a large support system helps so much and so does your positive outlook. Take Care.
Lanie said…
Robert, I will remember you and your family in my prayers.

Your positive comments are an inspiration.

God bless.
Hi Robert, get well wishes aplenty, and prayers for a speedy recovery. I hope it won't keep you from visiting us here in AZ in Aug. I am so looking forward to meeting you!

Love the changes you made to SEB! Great job.
Take care!
Jeanne said…
Every one of these projects are gorgeous! I am so sorry to hear of your diagnosis. I am older than you and been putting off the colonoscopy as well, it's easy to keep procrastinating. Wishing you all the best....treatment options are pretty good these days with many, many successes.
Dona said…
I am so sorry to hear of your cancer! I hope your chemo goes well, and I'm glad you have a good support system. I send prayers for you and your family. Hopefully, your beautiful needlework will help you through as well.
Mary said…
Robert, sorry to hear you health issues....I hope all goes well, I have missed the photos of your work...as always your recovery needlework is awesome!!! Stay positive.
Ginger said…
Robert - I am glad to see that you are back, I was getting really worried. I do hope that all goes well with the chemo. Everyone handles it differently, so hopefully, you will be one of those that does just swimmingly. :-)

If you want to do something not in your stash, remember that my offer stands on the museum piece that we discussed via the HDF forum. You are welcome to use the pattern as part of your therapy. :-)

You will be in my thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery!
Mindi said…
Beautiful stitching as always, and I love how you added in the different stitches for Sarah Elizabeth Brooke. Good luck with the chemo, and I'm glad you went in for the check-up in a timely manner. My father has been battling prostate cancer for the last few years, hopefully its all gone now.
David said…
Hello Robert,

Please don't thank us to stop by your blog... we'd better thank you for showing us your beautiful stitching!!! I am always impressed by your samplers... wish I could be as productive.
Like many other readers, I am sorry about your health issues but I am sure that the family and friends support you have will help you through this as well as as the time spend with needle and threads. I wish you all the best for a complete recovery.
can't wait to see which sampler will inspire you ;-)
Debby said…
Wow!! What a beautiful samplers!!! I'm sorry to hear about your health, i hope yout chemo goes well.

greetings from Debby,
the netherlands
Susan said…
Best wishes as you travel the road to recovery.

Your stitching is, as always, beautiful.
Anonymous said…
Very best wishes as you continue this journey.
Good luck with your cancer treatment. I'm pretty sure that you're allowed as many new starts as you'd like.
Anne said…
So sorry to hear about the cancer, but I believe you will be okay. It's never easy but you are positive and that's so important. My prayers go out to you and your family.

Lovely samplers, I'm amazed at how much you do! You chose such lovely pieces!
Shirley said…
Stay strong Robert and keep stitching whenever possible. Your work is amazing.
Loraine said…
Goodness Robert! I'm so sorry to hear about your health issues. I'm so glad you got your colonoscopy when you did, and hopefully they will get all of the cancer with chemo. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.
Your stitching is wonderful. I love the finish by Scarlett House. It's a wonderful piece.
Keep us updated on how you are doing. Stay positive and strong.
Michelle said…
Your finishes are amazing (as usual). I can't wait to see Elizabeth and Sarah Elizabeth in person (of course I've already seen the Mexican Schoolgirl Sampler in person and now I HAVE to stitch it!). I'm so glad that you've been able to get some stitching done, while you're recovering. Big big hugs, my sweet friend. Sending lots of prayers for healing!
Lori said…
The Mexican Schoolgirl has such vivid colors and I love the cat curled up on the cushion. I have wanted to stitch the Sarah Elizabeth Brooke's sampler - that hug red house is stunning! And, I love the encroaching goblin stitch you used, it adds a nice "texture" to the grassy area. I hope to see you at the next guild meeting in August because I can't wait to see the Elizabeth Sheffield in person and ogle that big green parrot. Does Polly want to stitch? LOL

You are so right about taking everything healthwise one day at a time. With your positive outlook I just know you will respond well to the chemotherapy. You will remain in my prayers.

P.S. Have you made any more progress on the Shores of Hawk Run Hollow?
Pam Tanner said…
Robert,

The Mexican School Girl Sampler is very pretty. I don't recall seeing that particular pattern before. I think it will have to be one that I add to my wish/things to do list.

I hope you are feeling better.
woolwoman said…
I'm new to your blog - although I've bounced on it from time to time thru other blog surfing. I'm very sorry to hear about your colon cancer - thank goodness you went and got the colonoscopy when you did. I had my first one last year and thankfully it was clear. Your stitching is lovely - I wish you all the best with your treatment - a supportive caring family means all the world in times like this. Melody
Carm said…
I'm so sorry to hear of your health problems. I;ll keep you in my prayers. Wonderful stitching. Right now I can't seem to find my stitching mojo. Need to finish several OFO's s I hope it shows up soon.
Sharon said…
I am very sorry to hear of your health issues. Wishing you the best as you continue with your treatments. Your finishes are fantastic. Congrats!

Love the Mexican Schoolgirl sampler-however that cat tends to freak me out with that color and I am a cat lover-LOL
You stitch the most beautiful samplers and you do it beautifully. I hope all goes well with your up coming treatment. You have the right attitude already if you are saying that you are taking it one step at a time. That way things don't overwhelm you so easily. My husband thinks the best philosophy/approach to dealing with cancer is to remain positive at all times. It certainly helped him.
Michele B. said…
Robert,

I'm so glad to see you back! I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis, stay positive and know that you are in my thoughts and prayers!

Your projects are awesome as always! I can't wait to see what you start next.

Keep strong!
Michele
Dansville, MI
Anonymous said…
Just found your blog. Sorry you have to go through colon cancer chemo. I was also diagnosed with colon cancer when I was 46. No symptoms, I'm just lucky it was found and I'm still alive. That was 12 years ago for me. The chemo isn't fun and it knocks you down but it's better than being dead in a few months. I started lots of new projects (quilting and stitching) while in chemo. Most did not get finished but they gave me something enjoyable to think about. Stay positive
Pandy
pandylolos at gmail dot com
valerie said…
So sorry to read about your diagnosis. I wish you the best during your treatment and recovery. Your finishes are spectacular!

Popular posts from this blog

Back in the Game!

Once again I have been away from my blog for way too long.  I get caught up in a lot of other things rather than posting pics of starts and finishes. These last couple of months have gone by way too fast. I have received a couple of messages from some followers making sure I was okay and looking forward to an update. I do have a few finishes and will spread these out over the next couple of weeks. First up is one that had been in the WIP pile for a long time -- Not For Us Alone from Amy Mitten.  Amy taught this piece at the Tudor Rose Sampler Guild back in the early 2000's (I cannot remember the date/year that I took the class). A friend of mine took the class with me and she had finished hers a long time ago. She recently moved and hung the sampler in her dining room.  So needless to say every time I go over to her house it was taunting me to get mine finished.  So here is my completed Not For Us Alone. Amy Mitten Designs Kit -Worked on 36-ct ...

Mary Allen 1818 Finished!

Once again I must thank all of you for your kind words and comments on my blog. I have meet some wonderful people in this venture who share the same passion for needlework. I was really surprised when I went to compose my blog post today and noticed that I have 199 followers. I will put something together for a little drawing so please stay posted. We finally have some decent weather in Texas (no +100F days since we had a cool front that moved into the area last night). Our high temperature for the day was only 81F and expected to get down into the low 60s overnight.  I could get use to this but we are expected to get back into the lower 90's by the end of the week.  But it is still try (no measureable rain received or expected) leaving us still in a severe drought situation. So we are still praying for rain. My goal was to finish Sampler's Rembered Mary Allen 1818 by Labor Day and I put the last stitches in on Saturday, September 3. ...

Christmas in July!

I would like to thank all of you for your kind comments, thoughts and prayers regarding my health issue. A brief update is provided at the end of the post. In my last post I had not yet decided whether to start something new or to finish something in my WIP pile.   It has been very hot here in North Texas so doing a couple of holiday pieces seemed to be in order. Jane Pattison 1806 by Shakespeare's Peddler I have had this chart in my stash since it first became available.   This piece really looks very looks and feels like a Christmas sampler with the border of green garland and candles.   I stitched this on 40-ct Lakeside linen using the recommended Gentle Arts Sampler Threads instead of the recommended wool threads. I did substitute the Harvest Basket with Gold Leaf since the Harvest Basket was very close in color to Cidermill Brown and I wanted to add a little bit of gold to the piece like in the picture on the pattern. I also stitch two bands...