Skip to main content

2013 - A New Year and A New Start

Let me start by wishing all you a very joyous New Year. Secondly I would like to thank you for all your kind comments, thoughts, words of encouragement, and prayers during the last several months as I fight colon cancer. I have reached the halfway point of the chemotherapy treatments (6 treatments down - 6 to go).  So far I have been handling them fairly well.  Mainly nauseousness but it last for only a couple of days after the treatment. As I have mentioned before the biggest part of the battle is mental but I have a great support group of family and friends that I can talk to to help me keep a positive attitude.

I have not really got much stitching done over the last couple of months.  I did manage to finish 1798 Quaker Sampler by The Goode Huswife.


Stitched on 40-ct Mystery Linen using the recommended NPI

A couple of years ago a fellow member of my local guild stitched a project as a part of Advent.  She marked off her chart into 24 sections and stitched a section each day during Advent.  I thought this was a great idea so I gave it a go.  It is the Glory Sampler by La-D-Da. I must admit that I did not get it completed before Christmas but was just one day late -- 26 Dec 2012.


Stitched on 40-ct Mystery Linen using Gloriana Silks in Cranberry, Elizabethan Green, and Jacaranda

I also completed Father Sail Home by Shakespear's Peddler. This was a small kit that I purchased but I swapped out the linen for something a little bit more darker so that the white sails would show up better.


Stitched on 40-ct Mystery Linen using Gentle Arts Sampler Threads

I have also decided to participate in Nicola's Scarlet Letter Year. This will give me an opportunity to stitch (and hopefully complete) some of the many Scarlet Letter charts that I have in my stash.  The first one that I decided to work on is And All Was for an Appil.  It was an easy decision to start this one after seeing Margaret's great finish.    


Stitched on 36-ct Lakeside Attic Lace using DMC

My goal for this year is to post more on my blog. Hopefully that will be doable by setting some time aside at least every couple of weeks just to post a progress picture.

May the New Year bring you peace, contentment, good health and many beautiful and inspiring needlework projects.

Comments

It was lovely to see you posting on Nicola's challenge blog. I will continue to keep a good thought for you and hope that 2013 brings you all you wish for.
Angie Burrett said…
How lovely to see you blogging again Robert, and I'm so pleased to see that you have decided to join us on "Nicola's Scarlet Letter Year" - hopefully it will give you something positive to focus on and help pass the time when you are feeling sick after the treatment. Life throws us many hurdles, but our family and friends and hobbies can be a great comfort. All good wishes for 2013 Robert.
Vicki said…
It's great to hear from you in this new year! All of your finishes look terrific, but I have to say the 1798 Quaker Sampler is my favorite... I love the colors!
Margaret said…
I love seeing all your finishes -- so beautiful! Great start on AAWFAA too! I've been thinking of you and will continue to send lots of good thoughts and prayers for your battle against colon cancer.
Giovanna said…
Lovely finishes, congratulations! And nice start. I'm glad you're handling the treatments well, and all my best wishes for the rest of them.
Katrina said…
Glad you are doing the challenge, and your not much stitching looks like a lot to me. Love the Goode Huswife Quaker piece, so pretty and the advent piece is gorgeous too. Glad you are managing through the chemo, lots of prayers for you!!!!!
Faye said…
Airways look forward to our posts Robert..... Your works are amazing and I am also stitching right here with you in Nicola's SL blog.... Fun, isn't it???

Continued support and good thoughts are going your way during your health challenges..... You are doing great!!!!

Take care, Faye
Kate said…
Happy to see you're stitching again! Lovely projects, and I love the advent idea! Keep your chin up
Laurie in Iowa said…
It's so good to see a blog post from you. For not much stitching you've accomplished quite a lot. Love the advent piece and your start on AAWFAA. Continuing to send positive healing thoughts your way.
Mary said…
Happy to hear that you are at the halfway point of chemo and that you are feeling well. Thoughts and prayers will continue.
Your Quaker Sampler and Father Sail Away are beautiful! The Advent idea is one that I think I'd like to do, and you chose a very appropriate design. I love it!
Happy New Year and looking forward to seeing your progress on Appil!
Koala said…
It's great to read your blog again,Robert! I wish you a happy and healthy new year, stay positive, it is one of the most important things in your challenge. Your stitching is amazing and I hope to see a lot of it this year :-)
Just found your blog. Your stitching is stunning!
Linda
Susan said…
As usual, your stitching is amazingly beautiful. Love the advent idea, although with the speed I stitch a little bit every month for 24 months is probably more reasonable! Sending positive thoughts to you for the rest of your treatments and the future.
Melissa said…
Lovely to see your post and your wonderful stitching, but more importantly, good to know that you are doing well with your treatments. May this year be full of recovery, good health, and all the good things in life! Cheers, Robert!
Janine said…
Sending healing thoughts from Australia Robert. I hope your treatment continues to go well. Love the stitching you have done
Chris said…
Happy New Year Robert!
So glad to see an update from you and to see all your beautiful stitching.
You have been missed! All for an Appil is lovely--those letters are a bear!



Ginger said…
It is great to see you blogging again. I am glad that you have hit the halfway mark in your chemo and will be even happier for you when you are DONE!

I love the 1798 Quaker Sampler that you did and one day if I am lucky I may stumble across a copy as I want to do it now, too! (Big surprise, right?)

Take care and blog when you can. Our thoughts and prayers remain with you.

(GingerCat from HDF)
dixiesamplar said…
So good to read a post from you, Robert. You are in my thoughts and prayers for a full recovery!

Love the finishes and new start...gorgeous work.

Hang in there; we are all rooting for you!
Kerri said…
Great to hear that you are doing well! Keep up the positive thinking and take things one day at a time.

Your projects are always so wonderful and I look forward to seeing more of your work in 2013. I have never seen that La D Da piece and have added it to my very long wish list.

May 2013 be your best year ever!
Lanie said…
Good to see you again, Robert, and so glad you've joined The Scarlet Letter Year.

I hope you continue to do well with the second half of your treatments. Good thoughts and prayers to you. God bless!
Catherine said…
Nice to see your post! Your stitches, as always, are stunning! Continued thoughts and prayers your way...
Marie Le Gouis said…
it is good to read you again and to see that you hold on !
best wishes from France
Natalia said…
Oh Robert, I didn't know you were going through this difficult time. I will keep you in my prayers. It is nice to see you blogging. Keep stitching !! I always have peace of mind when I stitch, so maybe it will help you too. All the best to you !
Hi Robert........it is great to see you on this blog! Love all your stitched pieces.......you finished a lot! I have chosen AAWFAA for my sampler too. Hope to get started Ianthe next few weeks.
Brenda in WI said…
Good to see you blogging again - have missed it. Glad you also are joining in on Nicola's SL SAL. Hope you will be feeling better and I know the time will pass by fast as you focus on your stitching when you can.
Michelle said…
Beautiful finishes! I am soooooo in love with that La D Da piece. Seriously in love. And I think the Advent stitching is an excellent plan - I will give that a try this year. I continue to keep you in my prayers as you continue your treatments. Big hugs as always!!
Karoline said…
Lovely to see a post from you, I'm glad to hear your treatment is going well.

Your finishes are lovely, especially the Quaker Sampler.
Dona said…
I enjoyed your post - so many beautiful projects. Always an inspiration. I will send prayers as you go through your second half of chemo.

Bertie said…
Wonderful finishes! The GH Quaker is gorgeous.

Kirby said…
I am so excited that you have posted. Your finishes are fabulous. Thanks for making my day!
Kevin said…
Hey there Robert. First, I'm glad to see I'm not the only guy out here into samplers. Your work looks great so far (I have to catch up as I only found this blog this morning). Secondly, wanted to wish you the best with your health in 2013. A family member is also fighting this battle and is doing well and I hope the same for you. Looking forward to reading your blog and joining everyone in the Scarlet Letter Year challenge.

Popular posts from this blog

Back in the Game!

Once again I have been away from my blog for way too long.  I get caught up in a lot of other things rather than posting pics of starts and finishes. These last couple of months have gone by way too fast. I have received a couple of messages from some followers making sure I was okay and looking forward to an update. I do have a few finishes and will spread these out over the next couple of weeks. First up is one that had been in the WIP pile for a long time -- Not For Us Alone from Amy Mitten.  Amy taught this piece at the Tudor Rose Sampler Guild back in the early 2000's (I cannot remember the date/year that I took the class). A friend of mine took the class with me and she had finished hers a long time ago. She recently moved and hung the sampler in her dining room.  So needless to say every time I go over to her house it was taunting me to get mine finished.  So here is my completed Not For Us Alone. Amy Mitten Designs Kit -Worked on 36-ct ...

Mary Allen 1818 Finished!

Once again I must thank all of you for your kind words and comments on my blog. I have meet some wonderful people in this venture who share the same passion for needlework. I was really surprised when I went to compose my blog post today and noticed that I have 199 followers. I will put something together for a little drawing so please stay posted. We finally have some decent weather in Texas (no +100F days since we had a cool front that moved into the area last night). Our high temperature for the day was only 81F and expected to get down into the low 60s overnight.  I could get use to this but we are expected to get back into the lower 90's by the end of the week.  But it is still try (no measureable rain received or expected) leaving us still in a severe drought situation. So we are still praying for rain. My goal was to finish Sampler's Rembered Mary Allen 1818 by Labor Day and I put the last stitches in on Saturday, September 3. ...

Christmas in July!

I would like to thank all of you for your kind comments, thoughts and prayers regarding my health issue. A brief update is provided at the end of the post. In my last post I had not yet decided whether to start something new or to finish something in my WIP pile.   It has been very hot here in North Texas so doing a couple of holiday pieces seemed to be in order. Jane Pattison 1806 by Shakespeare's Peddler I have had this chart in my stash since it first became available.   This piece really looks very looks and feels like a Christmas sampler with the border of green garland and candles.   I stitched this on 40-ct Lakeside linen using the recommended Gentle Arts Sampler Threads instead of the recommended wool threads. I did substitute the Harvest Basket with Gold Leaf since the Harvest Basket was very close in color to Cidermill Brown and I wanted to add a little bit of gold to the piece like in the picture on the pattern. I also stitch two bands...