Skip to main content

Progress on Christina, a Goode Huswife Quaker and a Soiree!

Sorry for the long delay between posts.  Seems that life (and health) always gets in the way of good intentions.

I would like to thank everyone for their kind words of encouragement, thoughts and prayers over the past couple of months.  I am truly blessed to have so many supportive firends and family.

The results of the the bronchoscopy that I had in August were inconclusive. So I meet with a cardio and thoracic surgeon who removed some lyumph nodes from my chest region. Those results came back as negative for cancer. So with those results back we could get started with the chemotherapy for stage 3 colon cancer.  I had my first chemotherapy treatment on 2 October and so far so good.  I have only experienced a little bit of nausea and some lightheadiness.  But that was only the first treatment - so 1 down and 11 to go.  I have a treatment every two weeks so I should be completed with treatments in about 6 months.

Over the past couple of months I have not really done much stitching - just in a little bit of a slump.  Cannot stay focused on anything for more than a couple of days.

But with that said, I do have some progress pictures.

My Summer Olympic 2012 stitching project was Christina Cathcart.  I must say I did not get as far in those 17 days as I thought I would.  It seems that I watched more of the olympics instead of just using them as background noise.  But I have been able to work on it off and on for the past month.



Christinia Cathcart c. 1831by Samplar Workes
Stitched on 40-ct Lakeside Magnolia using HDF silks
 
The forest scene at the bottom of the sampler was a lot of fun to stitch and I am looking forward to getting the bottom completed so that I can spend more time on the alphabet section.  I have slowly worked my way up to that section but I still have a lot of algerian eyelets.

The Goode Huswife 1798 Quaker sampler has been in my stash for a long time.  I finally decided that this would look really good on a piece of mystery 40-ct fabric that I had using the called for NPI. 


1798 Quaker Sampler by The Goode Huswife
Stitched on 40-ct Mystery Linen using NPI silks

I really like the combination of the greens and browns - but the called for colors look nothing like the picture on the front of the chart.  Not much further to go on this one.

In August, I had the opportunity to travel to Mesa, Arizona to participate in a sampler soiree  hosted by Attic Needleworks. I stayed with my friend Gloria and her husband (great hosts) which made the trip even more fun.

Jean and her staff are a wonderful group of ladies and they put on a great event.  Here is a picture of some of the wonderful projects that the local designers taught. Now I need to find the time to get the stitching part completed.



I am also including some pictures of my fellow table mates.  We had a great time working together (or being rebels) and I look forward to attending another workshop next year. Everyone made the only man in the group feel very welcomed and I made a lot of new friends.  Wonderful people and wornderful stitching.

Jean, Judianne, Me, Gloria and Barbara

Barbara, Sandie and Jean


You can see more pictures from the event in the Attic's Newsletter. Thanks Jean for a great time...

Other pictures can be seen at The Scarlet House.  It was a real pleasure to meet Tanya and I look forward to our new friendship (now to start a couple of her reproductions that I purchased).


Tanya and Me (not the best picture of me...)

And what is a trip to Arizona without stopping at Attic Needleworks to do a little bit of stash enhancement. I ended up purchasing a about 10 charts and various threads and fabrics.  One of my purchases was Lois Minshall from Threads of Gold.  This was a "new to me" chart that I had not seen before.  The stitched model at the Attic was way beyond gorgeous. Jean also had a great selection of some 45-ct fabric. I have never stitched on 45-ct fabric so I thought this would be a great pattern to try it with.


Lois Minshall by Threads of Gold
Stitched on 45-ct Lakeside Vintage Pecan Butter using NPI silks
 

This is a really fun sampler and I am enjoying stitching on the 45-ct linen. Looking forward to making a little bit more progress on this one.

Until next time - happy stitching.


Comments

Margaret said…
Robert, I hope you don't suffer too much with the chemotherapy. Good news on the lymph nodes coming back negative. I will continue prayers for a full recovery. Love all your stitching. I must say Christina Cathart took my breath away. Just gorgeous! Lois Minshall did as well -- thank goodness I've stitched her at least. lol! Your blog is always an enabler for me. The quaker is beautiful too -- love the colors. So glad you had fun at the Attic retreat. I hope to attend one one of these days.
I'm so glad that you've been able to start your chemo, you'll feel as though you're moving forward now. You choose the most beautiful samplers to work on, I particularly like the Threads of Gold piece. I'll keep good thoughts for you and hope all goes well.
pj said…
Bob, glad you got to visit the Attic and meet such wonderful stitchers! Tanya and Jean are great and I love shopping there. I will keep you in my prayers and hope the Chemo goes well. At least you will have some reprieve in between the sessions. Keep smiling and that needle will bring you comfort and joy! Always good to have that peaceful stitching. pam in iowa
samplerlover said…
Oh that is good news about the Lymph Nodes. I know that the Chemo really knocks one around, but it is essential to help get rid of this horrible disease. My Mum had Cancer 4 times. I will continue to keep you in my prayers.
Ohhhh Christinia Cathcart is really lovely. It isn't until you actually see somebody stitching it that you realise how lovely it is.
Isn't Lois Minshall a beautiful sampler. I have done her and she hangs in my bedroom. I changed her name though and she has my Mother's name and dob on it.
I would have loved to have been able to go to the Sampler Soiree, but coming from Australia it is a bit far to go for a weekend. - Sandra.
Love to Stitch said…
I am thrilled you had a great time at the Attic this summer. It is always a treat to go there and see all the beautiful pieces, fantastic folks to help enable the best of us :) Your stitching is as beautiful as ever and someday I too, will get to these great beauties. I am super excited that you had gotten the chance to pick up some 45ct linen--- it is my most favorite and I am sure you will be stitching more on it! Lois is just gorgeous!!!!

You remain in my prayers for a smooth 6 months + and glad you have your stitching to distract you some :)
SamplerNut said…
Dear Robert,

So glad that chemo is going well so far. Hope it goes smoothly through the next 6 months.

All your sampler projects look beautiful!! Even when you feel you are going through a bit of a slump in your stitching you still get far more stitching done than most stitchers I know. The bionic stitcher in you slows from 100 sph to only 90 sph. :)

Wow Lois Minshalls has come a long way since your visit here just a few short weeks ago. She is looking stunning!! Glad you are enjoying 45 count. I am sure there will be a lot more samplers done on this count fabric in the future.

I will keep you in my prayers friend.

God Bless,
Gloria
Sylvia said…
Robert, as usual your work leaves me itching to pull out my charts and get started. CC looks like lots of fun, and Lois Minshall - what a beauty. I am so glad to hear that the first treatment is over and you had very few side effects - may they all go like that. Thinking of you often.
Krista said…
Robert, your stitchings are all so beautiful and inspiring! I especially love the Lois Minshall, but could not imagine the 45ct! I wish you well with your chemo treatments. Sending you good thoughts and prayers.
Chris said…
Hey Robert!
I am glad to hear that the biopsy was clear. Wishing you continued good news and smooth chemo treatments.
Your stitching progress is very lovely. The CHS Quaker is fabulous.
How lucky to go to the Attic. It looks like a wonderful event!
Bertie said…
Lovey stitching and photo's, looks like you had a good time. The sampler is wonderful and the Quaker is just beautiful, always a winner!
Wishing you a speedy recovery:))
Thanks for sharing.
Rita said…
Beautiful stitching!

I was lucky enough to get to visit The Attic once. What a wonderful shop!

Praying for you!
dixiesamplar said…
Such beautiful stitching Robert...and I love your new purchases!

So sorry to hear about your health issues, and I hope that things go well with your chemo.

What a great time you guys had at the AN retreat...I have added their retreat to my wish list :o)
Angie Burrett said…
Hi Robert: keep positive - there are many of us thinking of you and wishing you back to full health. In time you will get back into your stitching - you do such beautiful work. Every bit of chemo is hopefully taking you nearer to being fit again. x
Dona said…
Your beautiful projects are so inspiring and awesome! Thank you for sharing them.

I will keep you in prayers for a successful six months.
Vera said…
Hi Robert, great to hear from you again...good news about the lymph nodes...and wishing you an easy time with the chemo. CC is absolutely gorgeous!
Michelle said…
You have gotten a lot done on Lois! And she is a stunner. You're going to tempt me to try 45ct. And Christiana - she is lovely. I love that little forest part with the running deer. So fun! I'm glad you are doing well and I'm sending lots of prayers for smooth sailing over the next 6 months.
Deb said…
I hope that your chemotherapy sessions go well and wishing you an easy time with the rest of them.

Your stitching is beautiful, especially Louis Minshall with those beautiful colors. I can't imagine stitching on 45 count fabric though!! Your other pieces are beautiful as well.

It sounds like you had a wonderful time at the retreat!
Mary said…
Two thumbs up for negative results...Christina is beautiful as always, nice to see your photo on Scarlett House web site. Best wishes for a successful chemo treatment.
valerie said…
So glad your first round of chemo went well and that your lymph nodes are in the clear. Your stitching is amazing! I love the color combo for the GH Quaker Sampler. And the Attic Retreat looks amazing. Wonderful that you were able to go.
Catherine said…
Lovely stitches and what a fun time you had at the retreat!
Sending thoughts send prayers your way!
Karoline said…
Glad you had a good time at the Attic and that your treatment continues to go well.

Your wips are looking lovely
Marie Le Gouis said…
I was looking forward to read you again :)
I love your choice of samplers especially the Lois Minshall
my best wishes
Evelyne said…
Your stitching is wonderful,especially the Lois Minshall!The colors are so beautiful.
Thank you for sharing.
I wish you all the best.

Evelyne
Jules said…
Robert ~ fellow sailor (I am a Navy vet myself) and stitchy friend ~ I am saddened to learn of your health situation. I pray that you get through your treatments with much success! I lost my dad in Sept to colon cancer (his was Stage 4). It is a nasty disease!

Kudos on all of the progress you made! Your stitching is beautiful as always.

I will keep you and your family in my prayers!
Merry Wind Farm said…
Dear Robert,
I just found your wonderful blog through another sampler stitcher. I just wanted to tell you that your work is beautiful, and to wish you my best as you undergo chemo. I nursed my husband through chemo, so I know how nasty it can be. I hope you can enjoy the Christmas season.

All my best,
Melinda
Mary said…
Thinking of you and hoping all is going well with your treatment.

Your samplers are just lovely!
Mary said…
Hi, Noticed change on blog site...hoped for a update..I hope this means all is going well for you. Happy Holidays and a wonderful new year.
Kevin said…
Your work is incredible. Love the choices you made also. May have to go hunt these down to add to the stash here. Happy healthy stitching to you, Robert.
Bine said…
I have seen Christina several times on the web. But since I have seen your version with the HDF silks I can't get her out of my head again. Would you mind sharing your conversion? Please, please, please.....LOL

Popular posts from this blog

Back in the Game!

Once again I have been away from my blog for way too long.  I get caught up in a lot of other things rather than posting pics of starts and finishes. These last couple of months have gone by way too fast. I have received a couple of messages from some followers making sure I was okay and looking forward to an update. I do have a few finishes and will spread these out over the next couple of weeks. First up is one that had been in the WIP pile for a long time -- Not For Us Alone from Amy Mitten.  Amy taught this piece at the Tudor Rose Sampler Guild back in the early 2000's (I cannot remember the date/year that I took the class). A friend of mine took the class with me and she had finished hers a long time ago. She recently moved and hung the sampler in her dining room.  So needless to say every time I go over to her house it was taunting me to get mine finished.  So here is my completed Not For Us Alone. Amy Mitten Designs Kit -Worked on 36-ct ...

Mary Allen 1818 Finished!

Once again I must thank all of you for your kind words and comments on my blog. I have meet some wonderful people in this venture who share the same passion for needlework. I was really surprised when I went to compose my blog post today and noticed that I have 199 followers. I will put something together for a little drawing so please stay posted. We finally have some decent weather in Texas (no +100F days since we had a cool front that moved into the area last night). Our high temperature for the day was only 81F and expected to get down into the low 60s overnight.  I could get use to this but we are expected to get back into the lower 90's by the end of the week.  But it is still try (no measureable rain received or expected) leaving us still in a severe drought situation. So we are still praying for rain. My goal was to finish Sampler's Rembered Mary Allen 1818 by Labor Day and I put the last stitches in on Saturday, September 3. ...

Christmas in July!

I would like to thank all of you for your kind comments, thoughts and prayers regarding my health issue. A brief update is provided at the end of the post. In my last post I had not yet decided whether to start something new or to finish something in my WIP pile.   It has been very hot here in North Texas so doing a couple of holiday pieces seemed to be in order. Jane Pattison 1806 by Shakespeare's Peddler I have had this chart in my stash since it first became available.   This piece really looks very looks and feels like a Christmas sampler with the border of green garland and candles.   I stitched this on 40-ct Lakeside linen using the recommended Gentle Arts Sampler Threads instead of the recommended wool threads. I did substitute the Harvest Basket with Gold Leaf since the Harvest Basket was very close in color to Cidermill Brown and I wanted to add a little bit of gold to the piece like in the picture on the pattern. I also stitch two bands...