Skip to main content

Drum Roll Please!

Spring has finally arrived in North Central Texas with some great weather. That along with the end of Daylight Savings Time allows for more time to spend outdoors getting the flower beds and the rest of the yard in order. 

The sampler guild which I belong to hosted Stacy Nash of Stacy Nash Primitives on the 12th and 13th of March.  I did not preregister for this class because I did not know if I was going to be in town or not. Luckily my scheduled worked out and with a little bit of arm twisting from Michelle, I was able to get a kit from someone who was not going to be able to attend.  I got the stitching done fairly quickly on both the drum and needle roll. On the first day of the class we learned how to assemble the drum and age it with a walnut dye. We also learned how to create a strawberry to accent the top.


On the second day we learned how to assemble the needle roll.  With a little help from my table partner Betty, I was able to learn how to prepare and stitch the fabric binding on the completed stitched piece.  Now I am not a sewer so this was very new to me. The drum and the needle roll was my first attempt to actually doing the finishing of pieces (other than maybe putting together some flat ornaments). My finishing of the needle roll is not that neat but  it was a learning piece (and it being primitive is a plus since it needs to look old). Also it gave me a little bit of confidence in being able to do some other finishing.




On the stitching front I have been working on a a piece by the City Stitcher - Adam and Eve.


Worked on 40-ct Examplar Lakeside Linen using HDF Threads

I am really enjoying this piece and it is a quick stitch - other than all that green grass.  But that is now out of the way and I can focus on the other motifs in the piece. Goal is to complete this before the end of the Month so that I can have a new start in April.

Thank you all for your kind comments on the completion of the samplers in my last blog.  It is always great to get the encouragement from my fellow stitchers. Happy Stitching and best wishes to all.

Comments

valerie said…
Congrats on your Stacy Nash finishes. They look fantastic and it sounds like it was a very fun class!

Great progress on your A&E.
Peggy Lee said…
Robert your drum and needle roll both are absolutely stunning! I have never made either one...I am jealous and proud of you at the same time!

Love the progress on your Adam and Eve sampler. Just can't wait to see it finished. Be sure to keep us posted.
Margaret said…
Beautiful job on your Stacy Nash pieces. They're wonderful! I love your new A&E piece too -- it's on my todo list. Looking forward to seeing your finish.
Catherine said…
Robert, your pieces are beautiful!! I have never attempted anything quite like that!

And your Adam and Eve is lovely - I really like the grazing sheep!
Laurie in Iowa said…
Your Stacy Nash pieces look fabulous. Congrats to you for attempting and executing the finishing on both pieces.
Love the new A&E sampler. It's on my 'to stitch' list.
Melissa said…
Wow - you did a great job with the Stacy Nash pieces! They're wonderful!

I love your A & E piece. I have this in my stash somewhere. Yours is looking great, and you know what we're going to ask for, right? The HDF thread conversion! That's what you get for being clever! ;-)
Faye said…
Robert, I have been admiring your many LARGE finishes!!! I really like the SN pieces, but those samplers are gorgeous!! And, you are such a speedy stitcher.... Kudos on a wonderful job~~ Take care, Faye
Sharon said…
Your SN finishes are wonderful and I love your A&E progress. I just ordered that pattern.
samplerlover said…
Robert, your SN pieces are really lovely. I tried making a drum awhile ago and the stitching is easy but the putting together not so. So congratulations on getting it right.

The A&E will be another beautiful piece to add to your lovely collection - Sandra.
Lori said…
Robert - Your SN pieces look terrific. I should have been sitting next you and Betty during class as the drumroll was my first attempt too. I quickly learned that with "primitive" any mistake can be made to look good!! Can't wait to see the A&E completed.
Sylvia said…
Great Stacy Nash finish - I am glad you got to go to the class.

Love that A&E by City Stitcher. Knowing how fast you stitch, I know you will have it done by the end of the month. Can't wait to see what you tackle next.
Beautiful work Robert!
Susan x
Siobhán said…
Great job on the SN pieces! I love love love your City Stitcher A&E. I've had the chart in the stash for awhile but have yet to stitch it. Good luck on meeting your goal of an end of the month finish!
Giovanna said…
Beautiful finishes, congratulations! Nice going on the sampler too.
Bertie said…
Lovely finishes on SN, I do love her stuff, and the stitching is easy too, great job:))
The A&E is lovely, the colours are just beautiful:))
Beautiful!!!!!!
Congratulation!
Hugs
Nadia
Michelle said…
Robert, your SN pieces turned out fabulous! I'm so glad you took this class (and I hope you had fun!). I'm loving your City Stitcher piece - I really want to stitch this one. I'll have to remember to add it to my wish list. Can't wait to see what that new start will be!
Varla Lee said…
Wow! Lovely primitives!!
Kathy A. said…
You have done a wonderful job on your Stacy Nash drumroll. Beautifully stitched and finished.
Anonymous said…
What a darling, beautifully finished set you've created! Good going you!
And I have this City Stitcher piece all kitted up...sadly I've had it kitted for over two years - SO MUCH lovely stuff to stitch and not enough time :)
Yours is looking beautiful and will be all done in no time at all, I'm sure!
Katrina said…
I really like your drumroll! Congrats on the finish and the A&E piece is wonderful too.
leah said…
Thankyou so much for a wonderful blog. I am so impressed with the work you do and how prolific you are!! I find it fascinating and fantastic that you are a male stitcher and wonder how many males are out there doing similar beautiful work. I really like everything and will be inerested to see city stitcher finished.
Beautiful. Another Adam and Eve I will have to do one day :)

Popular posts from this blog

Back in the Game!

Once again I have been away from my blog for way too long.  I get caught up in a lot of other things rather than posting pics of starts and finishes. These last couple of months have gone by way too fast. I have received a couple of messages from some followers making sure I was okay and looking forward to an update. I do have a few finishes and will spread these out over the next couple of weeks. First up is one that had been in the WIP pile for a long time -- Not For Us Alone from Amy Mitten.  Amy taught this piece at the Tudor Rose Sampler Guild back in the early 2000's (I cannot remember the date/year that I took the class). A friend of mine took the class with me and she had finished hers a long time ago. She recently moved and hung the sampler in her dining room.  So needless to say every time I go over to her house it was taunting me to get mine finished.  So here is my completed Not For Us Alone. Amy Mitten Designs Kit -Worked on 36-ct ...

Mary Allen 1818 Finished!

Once again I must thank all of you for your kind words and comments on my blog. I have meet some wonderful people in this venture who share the same passion for needlework. I was really surprised when I went to compose my blog post today and noticed that I have 199 followers. I will put something together for a little drawing so please stay posted. We finally have some decent weather in Texas (no +100F days since we had a cool front that moved into the area last night). Our high temperature for the day was only 81F and expected to get down into the low 60s overnight.  I could get use to this but we are expected to get back into the lower 90's by the end of the week.  But it is still try (no measureable rain received or expected) leaving us still in a severe drought situation. So we are still praying for rain. My goal was to finish Sampler's Rembered Mary Allen 1818 by Labor Day and I put the last stitches in on Saturday, September 3. ...

Christmas in July!

I would like to thank all of you for your kind comments, thoughts and prayers regarding my health issue. A brief update is provided at the end of the post. In my last post I had not yet decided whether to start something new or to finish something in my WIP pile.   It has been very hot here in North Texas so doing a couple of holiday pieces seemed to be in order. Jane Pattison 1806 by Shakespeare's Peddler I have had this chart in my stash since it first became available.   This piece really looks very looks and feels like a Christmas sampler with the border of green garland and candles.   I stitched this on 40-ct Lakeside linen using the recommended Gentle Arts Sampler Threads instead of the recommended wool threads. I did substitute the Harvest Basket with Gold Leaf since the Harvest Basket was very close in color to Cidermill Brown and I wanted to add a little bit of gold to the piece like in the picture on the pattern. I also stitch two bands...