Skip to main content

Olympic Start

In honor of the 2012 Olympics, I decided a new start was in order.  So beginning with the Opening Ceremonies on Friday evening I started Christinia Cathcart c. 1831 by Samplar Workes (Page Dorsey). This is a Scottish sampler that I have wanted to stitch for a long time.
I started the sampler in the lower right hand corner because I wanted to start the forest and deer portion as soon as possible.  It is taking me a while to get that house completed even though it is only a roof and windows (the house itself is not filled in - only outlined). This is being worked on 40-ct Lakeside Magnolia using Hand Dyed Fibers silks converted from the recommended DMC colors. Really enjoying this but that strawberry border is going to take some time. I do not think I can finish it in the 17 days of the Olympics but at least I can say I have started it.




Health Update
I had a bronchoscopy with transbronchial biopsy performed on Thursday, 26 July to see if an enlarged lymph node was cancerous or not. During this procedure they also took tissue samples from each lung.  I have an appointment with the ongologist to review the results on Wednesday, 1 August.  Initital comment from the pulmonary surgeon who conducted the procedure says that it does not look cancerous.  Will know more later this week.

Thank you once again for all your positive comments, thoughts and prayers.

Comments

Vera said…
Oh, I love the sampler you've started -- just gorgeous. There are an awful lot of trees!! Continued best wishes for your health Robert. Vera
dixiesamplar said…
Love the new start! Looks to be a big one...

Will be praying for the best news possible, Robert!
Anonymous said…
Hello

Your start is looking lovely.
Hope your appointment goes well for you.
What a beautiful start! Sending prayers for good results, Robert!
Margaret said…
What a great start! Good choice! Sending prayers for good results.
What a beautiful new start, you have a good eye for choosing perfect samplers. I'll continue to keep a good thought for you. Surgeons don't generally say that things look okay if they're not sure - often they won't usually comment so hopefully you'll get a good result. Like I said before, take it a step at a time and keep positive thoughts.
marly said…
I looked up Christina and the sampler is gorgeous. Good looking start! I hope your results are all good news.
Dona said…
I send prayers that the results are favorable!

Christinia is beautiful!
samplerlover said…
I also send good thoughts that things are ok when you go to your appointment.

Great start. Christinia is a beautiful sampler. Looking forward to seeing more of her.
Anna Zont said…
Love the new start! It looks really interesting!
Hope your results are all good news.
Giovanna said…
What a beautiful new project! I can imagine that house taking a long time to stitch. All the best for your tests - keeping fingers crossed for the best possible outcome.
Chris said…
Lovely new start. Hoping for great news for you today!
Anja said…
Beautiful start! I love your stitching.
Robert, I send you best wishes from Germany.
Liebe Grüße von Anja
Kate said…
A lovely start.
I hope you get good news.
Mary said…
A great start. I can never start anywhere but middle....I am always afraid of miss counting and running out of fabric ( I did once) so sad. Good luck.
Faye said…
Christina is just beautiful....Its a classic~~ I'm like you when it comes to starting a sampler...Often I start top right but seems here lately its been bottom right. I want to get to the good part which is often settled at the bottom... Like all the other beautiful stitches, I will be following this sampler as well.

Take care, Faye
Catherine said…
Great stitches and continued thoughts and prayers headed your way!
Michelle said…
Gorgeous start! I bet you can finish her in 17 days. I'll be cheering you on! Sending lots of prayers and hugs to you!
woolwoman said…
I'm new to your blog robert and I am amazed with the samplers in your previous post - all ones I love and hope to stitch one day. I'm hoping you get good news on your tests. Enjoy the rest of the Olympics and your Cathcart sampler.
Melody
Krista said…
What a lovely new start and great way to commemorate the Olympics! I hope you had good news on the tests that you had and all is well. Krista
Paule said…
Hi Robert, I'm glad you head on to the wind. I send you all my best positive hugs, and I'm sure your olympic start will be worth a gold medal! Paule from France
Connie Poole said…
Dear Robert, your samplers are so beautiful; I feel privileged to have seen them in person at the Attic! I enjoyed meeting and talking with you. I am sorry to hear of your health concerns andI will add you to my prayers list every night! Take care of yourself and keep stitching!

Best wishes,

Connie
ParisMaddy said…
Love your sampler but more importantly how are you? I hope your health/test results were positive.

..¸(`'•.¸(`'•.¸¸.•'´)¸.• '´)¸..
«•*¨` * ~ Madeline ~ * ´¨*•» « ☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆ ★ ☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆ »
..´(¸.•'´(¸.•'´`'•.¸)`'• .¸)`.
wranglerkate said…
Hope all is well Robert. Best wishes.
debbie said…
Hi Robert, I came across your blog by viewing another blog. Anyway, I just wanted to say that your cross stitching is very nice and I hope your health issues are improving every day. I have health issues too, and stitching is my therapy that keeps me sane. debbie ps i am from north texas too.

Popular posts from this blog

Back in the Game!

Once again I have been away from my blog for way too long.  I get caught up in a lot of other things rather than posting pics of starts and finishes. These last couple of months have gone by way too fast. I have received a couple of messages from some followers making sure I was okay and looking forward to an update. I do have a few finishes and will spread these out over the next couple of weeks. First up is one that had been in the WIP pile for a long time -- Not For Us Alone from Amy Mitten.  Amy taught this piece at the Tudor Rose Sampler Guild back in the early 2000's (I cannot remember the date/year that I took the class). A friend of mine took the class with me and she had finished hers a long time ago. She recently moved and hung the sampler in her dining room.  So needless to say every time I go over to her house it was taunting me to get mine finished.  So here is my completed Not For Us Alone. Amy Mitten Designs Kit -Worked on 36-ct ...

Mary Allen 1818 Finished!

Once again I must thank all of you for your kind words and comments on my blog. I have meet some wonderful people in this venture who share the same passion for needlework. I was really surprised when I went to compose my blog post today and noticed that I have 199 followers. I will put something together for a little drawing so please stay posted. We finally have some decent weather in Texas (no +100F days since we had a cool front that moved into the area last night). Our high temperature for the day was only 81F and expected to get down into the low 60s overnight.  I could get use to this but we are expected to get back into the lower 90's by the end of the week.  But it is still try (no measureable rain received or expected) leaving us still in a severe drought situation. So we are still praying for rain. My goal was to finish Sampler's Rembered Mary Allen 1818 by Labor Day and I put the last stitches in on Saturday, September 3. ...

Christmas in July!

I would like to thank all of you for your kind comments, thoughts and prayers regarding my health issue. A brief update is provided at the end of the post. In my last post I had not yet decided whether to start something new or to finish something in my WIP pile.   It has been very hot here in North Texas so doing a couple of holiday pieces seemed to be in order. Jane Pattison 1806 by Shakespeare's Peddler I have had this chart in my stash since it first became available.   This piece really looks very looks and feels like a Christmas sampler with the border of green garland and candles.   I stitched this on 40-ct Lakeside linen using the recommended Gentle Arts Sampler Threads instead of the recommended wool threads. I did substitute the Harvest Basket with Gold Leaf since the Harvest Basket was very close in color to Cidermill Brown and I wanted to add a little bit of gold to the piece like in the picture on the pattern. I also stitch two bands...