Skip to main content

Frances Eden 1809 Finished! Plus a New Start!

Greetings from North Texas where it is hot, hot, hot! It has been above 100F for over 21consecutive days with little rain.

I created a blogpost at the beginning of June but never got around to taking the pictures for the blog post. So here goes...

I finally finished the Frances Eden 1809 Sampler by Handwork the first week of June. It was a fun and colorful stitich but took me a little bit longer than normal to complete.  It is larger than I thought it would be. I still need to personalize it with my name and year but I am counting it as a finish.

1809 Frances Eden by Handwork
Worked on 40-ct Examplar Lakeside Linen using HDF silks

After completing Frances Eden, I decided to start Mary Wigham from Needleprint. I had started this using the recommended colors but was not really happy with how it was turning out. But then someone posted a picture of theirs using just three colors (gold, red and brown). I really liked the way they translated the design into a different color way. So using that as an example I charted the sampler using 5 different colors (red, brown, rust, gold and green). The green will only be used for the initials of family members. Here is a snapshot of the chart using my selected colors with some changes and personalization.I am still in the process of placing the personalization so I have some empty areas.

The dark green color will only be used for the initials of family members. I will be replacing Mary's name with my own and the school name with "A Token of Love".and the year as I have seen on a couple of other Quaker samplers.



Mary Wigham by Needlework
Worked on 40-ct Light Examplar Lakeside Linen using Hand Dyed Fibers Silk

Also in the works is some pre-stitching on A Spot in the Mountains by Patrick's Woods. I am taking a finishing class in September.  The colors on this piece are really great.  I am enjoying stitching the Florentine stitch in the bear claw pattern. 


A Spot in the Mountains by Patrick's Woods
Worked on 30-ct linen with NPI silks

Thank you again for stopping by and visiting. I will post some more progress pictures in a couple of weeks.

Comments

Margaret said…
You always have the best projects going. Gorgeous stuff! I love your Frances finish! Love the colors in Mary Wigham -- you have a great eye for color. And that Patrick's Wood piece -- wow! So pretty! I wish I could take that class.
Catherine said…
What a beautiful finish! The colors you chose for Mary are stunning together. I can't wait to see your final piece finished. All are so inspiring!
Kathy A. said…
Wow - what a stunning finish.
I love your choices for Mary Wigham. It will be a stunning heirloom when you are done.
You do some remarkable stitching Robert.
This comment has been removed by the author.
Beautiful The coulours are all so wonderful on all of them. Yiur Mary W will be gorgeous for sure!
Laurie in Iowa said…
Congrats on your Frances finish. She looks great. I like your color choices for Mary Wigham and the Patrick's Wood piece looks fantastic.
Giovanna said…
Congrats on Frances Eden, she's a beauty! And goodness you've got a lot of Mary W done already. And that class piece looks fabulous too - well done on everything!
Sylvia said…
Frances looks wonderful, congrats on your finish.

I love what you are doing with Mary Wingham. Great colors.

I think I picked the wrong one to stitch for the Patrick's Woods class - I just love what yours is looking like.
Amy said…
I love your color choices on Mary! What are they?
Teresa S. said…
Frances Eden turned out gorgeous!
But, your comments on Mary Wigham gave me pause. I have stalled on Mary and really lost interest. Your points about the original colors have hit home (that is what I am using) and I wonder if using a custom colorway would have changed my feelings? Thanks for making me rethink Mary Wigham!
Melissa said…
It's no surprise that every time I come by, I am wow'd! Congratulations on finishing Frances Eden - a beauty, and I love how your Mary W is coming along - and you're almost done!

I am not familiar with Patrick's Woods - looks very nice so far! Looking forward to seeing more.

ps The fact that you (and anyone else) can stitch in the heat deserves high praise!
samplerlover said…
Congratulations on finishing Frances Eden. She is a beautiful sampler. Your Mary W looks wonderfull with the colours that you have picked. Patrick's Wood piece looks like it is going to be a beauty. Looking forward to seeing it finished when you have completely finished it. - Sandra.
Gorgeous finish on Frances!! I just love that piece and must do it one of these days. I also really love your color changes on Mary Wigham ; they look so rich - love it!!! The Patrick's Wood piece looks so fun; can't wait to see the finish.
Cathy Lloyd said…
Oh GOSH! I second all the comments above Patrick! Spectacular!
Deb said…
Love your finish on Frances! I started this one and haven't picked it back up yet. I think that I need to bring it back to the top of the pile.

I just love (swoon) the colors you are using for Mary Wigham. I love Quaker Samplers but am usually bored with the color choices. Those colors would definitely hold my interest.

And your Patrick's Woods piece is just wonderful. the colors are great and love the Florentine stitch.
Mrs Dibble said…
I love New Starts - they are my best thing!! Lovely work
David said…
All three projects are amazingly beautiful and very inspiring.
Michelle said…
Frances is gorgeous! And I am loving the color scheme you've chosen for Mary Wigham. You're really zipping along with Spot in the Mountains - I wish I was as far along with Hare Pyns! Love that one though - it's so cute!!
Anonymous said…
Your stiching is magnifique!

Gigi from Belgium

www.gigirdesigns.canalblog.com
www.gigir.canalblog.com
Kim said…
Big congrats on the Fran finish!!! I love her! And I absolutely LOVE the colors you're working with on Mary! Can't wait to see more! Keep cool!
Katrina said…
Love, love, love Frances Eden!!! And the colors you are using for Mary are gorgeous too :-). Fun class piece. Hope you are staying cool.
Jacqui Emm said…
Your samplers are amazing. I've been doing quite small projects but have long wanted to do a large, family heirloom type sampler. These are simply gorgeous, so I guess my weekend homework is to go and find one of those patterns to order :-)

Jackie
http://teddyedwards65.blogspot.com/
dixiesamplar said…
Wow, Robert...Frances turned out beautifully!!! And I love the changes you have made to MW...those colors are stunning. The PW piece looks like a lot of fun and interesting stitches...the little guy in the boat is too cute, LOL!

You inspire me to finish at least one of my five sampler WIPs...I have been dragging them out long enough now :o)

Happy Stitchin'
Terri
www.dixiesamplar.blogspot.com
Pam Tanner said…
Saw the Frances Eden sampler on FB, and fell in love!!!! Unfortunately, it has been discontinued, and designer has retired. Let me know if you still have the chart and might be interested in parting with it! I'd be willing to pay your original cost of the chart and postage.

Popular posts from this blog

Back in the Game!

Once again I have been away from my blog for way too long.  I get caught up in a lot of other things rather than posting pics of starts and finishes. These last couple of months have gone by way too fast. I have received a couple of messages from some followers making sure I was okay and looking forward to an update. I do have a few finishes and will spread these out over the next couple of weeks. First up is one that had been in the WIP pile for a long time -- Not For Us Alone from Amy Mitten.  Amy taught this piece at the Tudor Rose Sampler Guild back in the early 2000's (I cannot remember the date/year that I took the class). A friend of mine took the class with me and she had finished hers a long time ago. She recently moved and hung the sampler in her dining room.  So needless to say every time I go over to her house it was taunting me to get mine finished.  So here is my completed Not For Us Alone. Amy Mitten Designs Kit -Worked on 36-ct ...

Mary Allen 1818 Finished!

Once again I must thank all of you for your kind words and comments on my blog. I have meet some wonderful people in this venture who share the same passion for needlework. I was really surprised when I went to compose my blog post today and noticed that I have 199 followers. I will put something together for a little drawing so please stay posted. We finally have some decent weather in Texas (no +100F days since we had a cool front that moved into the area last night). Our high temperature for the day was only 81F and expected to get down into the low 60s overnight.  I could get use to this but we are expected to get back into the lower 90's by the end of the week.  But it is still try (no measureable rain received or expected) leaving us still in a severe drought situation. So we are still praying for rain. My goal was to finish Sampler's Rembered Mary Allen 1818 by Labor Day and I put the last stitches in on Saturday, September 3. ...

Christmas in July!

I would like to thank all of you for your kind comments, thoughts and prayers regarding my health issue. A brief update is provided at the end of the post. In my last post I had not yet decided whether to start something new or to finish something in my WIP pile.   It has been very hot here in North Texas so doing a couple of holiday pieces seemed to be in order. Jane Pattison 1806 by Shakespeare's Peddler I have had this chart in my stash since it first became available.   This piece really looks very looks and feels like a Christmas sampler with the border of green garland and candles.   I stitched this on 40-ct Lakeside linen using the recommended Gentle Arts Sampler Threads instead of the recommended wool threads. I did substitute the Harvest Basket with Gold Leaf since the Harvest Basket was very close in color to Cidermill Brown and I wanted to add a little bit of gold to the piece like in the picture on the pattern. I also stitch two bands...