Skip to main content

James Wilson Start!

Hello everyone. Again I have been delayed in posting new starts and finishes to the my blog.

I finally finished Jane Atkinson last month.  The over one was a bear to get done on the 40-count Lakeside. Unfortunatley I was not able to take a picture of her before I left on a business trip back to Tasmania.  Once I return to the states next week I will post a picture.

At the end of January I started the James Wilson Sampler which is in the Haslemere Educational Museum . The Needleprint blog mentioned this sampler back in November of last year and she also mentions it again in her post on 15 Feb 2011. This sampler is on the Needleprint blog and it really spoke to me since I am a male needlework enthusiast. 

Here is a photo of the original:


And my progress:



The chart calls for DMC which I have convert to Vicki Claytons Hand-Dyed fibers.  The tree at the top center of the sampler is done in DMC 712 (Ecru/Off White) and is very hard to see in the original.  I did not think that was a proper color for a tree so I am doing mine in a medium brown. I have also changed the DMC 676 light gold to a gold that is similar to DMC 729 since it is more toned down color. Sampler is being stitched on 40-ct Lakeside Line (believe it is Clay Pot?). I am really liking the way that the colors jump off the fabric - especially the peach, blue and ecru./white colors.

EDITED:

By popular demand here is my conversion:

DMC          -->        HDF
White                      Fleckstone
310                         Nightmare (has a little bit of dark blue with the black)
3325                       Mermaid Blue 2317
975                         Ochre 4409
934                         Imperial Green 3339
730                         Sea Wrack 3435
3051                       Marsh Grass 3351
819                         Terra Potta 4315
918                         Terra Potta 4325
803                         Dragon Toes
712                         Kodiak Bear 5125
738                         Kodiak Bear 5129
801                         Kodiak Bear 5137
301                         Rum Scullion 4339
676                         Yellow Spice 4161
                               Old Maid of the Soil

I am using Old Maid of the Soil for the roof of the house in the center and the birds tails in the tree since I am doing the tree in a medium brown.

Goal is to have this one completed by the end of the month so that I can pick up one of my WIP to get completed before a new start. Looking forward to seeing what is released at the Nashville market this week.  I have already placed an order for two new ones from Samplers Remembered.

I have also continued to work on the Oh My Stars counted canvas piece and I am about half way done.  I will post a progress picture along with the Jane Atkinson.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Oh my heaven's to mercy that is awesome! I agree about the peach colors jumping off the fabric, that is the first thing I noticed too...that and the house is gorgeous!
Your my new idol :)
Catherine said…
What a positively beautiful sampler!
samplerlover said…
Oh his is a lovely sampler. I can see why you like it. Have fun in Tassie - Sandra.
Margaret said…
OMG! It's absolutely gorgeous! I saw the post about James Wilson -- now that they accept paypal, I think I'm going to go for it and get the chart. Of course, your WIP helps. lol! Can't wait to see your Jane!
Laurie in Iowa said…
James is a gorgeous sampler. I'm looking forward to seeing your completed Jane.
Karen said…
James is beautiful and you've made awesome progress in a short period of time. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product!
Sylvia said…
Wow Robert, that sampler is just beautiful -I wasn't quite inspired by the original, but seeing your WIP makes me want to run out and get it. Really lovely.
Siobhán said…
What a gorgeous sampler! I don't think I'd have paid much attention to it if I hadn't seen your WIP pic. I can't wait to see your Jane--congrats on the finish!
Giovanna said…
What a gorgeous sampler, and your version is just lovely - well done so far!
GingerCat said…
I love your conversion to HDF. It is looking quite nice!
Katrina said…
Gorgeous sampler!!! And I love your conversion.
Annie Beez said…
This is really gorgeous! I love your conversion.
Melissa said…
ah-ha! Bless you Robert on 2 counts:

1. listing your beautiful conversion! and
2. changing your comment option so now I can leave my silly little swoons whenever I can! ;-)

I look forward to seeing more on this beautiful sampler!
Michelle said…
Gorgeous! This is another one I would have never looked twice at, but seeing yours is fantastic! Love the conversion you did too, those colors really pop on the fabric. Can't wait to see Jane finished!
Sue said…
Beautiful work on a beautiful sampler.
Kathy A. said…
Stunning sampler and what gorgeous colors you hae chosen.
Brigitte said…
Wow, what a beautiful sampler you have started. And how fast it has been growing. Stunning progress!
Unknown said…
It's beautiful James! Thanks for giving us your conversion... don't you love VC's HDF? I'm doing EftH's Resurrection in the called for HDFs and I love them! Great progress can't wait to see the finished work!
Valerie said…
I am a new follower and have thoroughly enjoyed reading your blog and looking at your exquisite stitching. Jane Atkinson is absolutely gorgeous and James Wilson is very handsome! Thank you for sharing!

Popular posts from this blog

Back in the Game!

Once again I have been away from my blog for way too long.  I get caught up in a lot of other things rather than posting pics of starts and finishes. These last couple of months have gone by way too fast. I have received a couple of messages from some followers making sure I was okay and looking forward to an update. I do have a few finishes and will spread these out over the next couple of weeks. First up is one that had been in the WIP pile for a long time -- Not For Us Alone from Amy Mitten.  Amy taught this piece at the Tudor Rose Sampler Guild back in the early 2000's (I cannot remember the date/year that I took the class). A friend of mine took the class with me and she had finished hers a long time ago. She recently moved and hung the sampler in her dining room.  So needless to say every time I go over to her house it was taunting me to get mine finished.  So here is my completed Not For Us Alone. Amy Mitten Designs Kit -Worked on 36-ct ...

Mary Allen 1818 Finished!

Once again I must thank all of you for your kind words and comments on my blog. I have meet some wonderful people in this venture who share the same passion for needlework. I was really surprised when I went to compose my blog post today and noticed that I have 199 followers. I will put something together for a little drawing so please stay posted. We finally have some decent weather in Texas (no +100F days since we had a cool front that moved into the area last night). Our high temperature for the day was only 81F and expected to get down into the low 60s overnight.  I could get use to this but we are expected to get back into the lower 90's by the end of the week.  But it is still try (no measureable rain received or expected) leaving us still in a severe drought situation. So we are still praying for rain. My goal was to finish Sampler's Rembered Mary Allen 1818 by Labor Day and I put the last stitches in on Saturday, September 3. ...

Christmas in July!

I would like to thank all of you for your kind comments, thoughts and prayers regarding my health issue. A brief update is provided at the end of the post. In my last post I had not yet decided whether to start something new or to finish something in my WIP pile.   It has been very hot here in North Texas so doing a couple of holiday pieces seemed to be in order. Jane Pattison 1806 by Shakespeare's Peddler I have had this chart in my stash since it first became available.   This piece really looks very looks and feels like a Christmas sampler with the border of green garland and candles.   I stitched this on 40-ct Lakeside linen using the recommended Gentle Arts Sampler Threads instead of the recommended wool threads. I did substitute the Harvest Basket with Gold Leaf since the Harvest Basket was very close in color to Cidermill Brown and I wanted to add a little bit of gold to the piece like in the picture on the pattern. I also stitch two bands...