Skip to main content

New Year, New Start

Happy New Year Everyone - I cannot believe that it has been over a month since my last post. Time sure flies when you are having fun - or getting older.

I have been spending some time contemplating my stitiching goals for 2011. After speaking with some fellow stitchers, I believe that I will spend this year finishing some of my WIPS.  I would really like to get some samplers done instead of just having them started.  I will post the list on my blog once I have narrowed it down.

I am nearly done with Jane Atkinson.  I ended up finishing all of the stitching but left most of the over one saying incomplete.  That was a mistake.  So I have been rotating it in out with a couple of other projects.  I only have about 2 more lines of the saying to complete so I am commited to getting this done by the end of the month and I will show a picture as soon as it is complete.

I have been wanting to do try my hand at some counted canvas work sincae the middle part of last year.  The LNS that I frequent had a design that I kept on picking up everytime I went in.  I finally bought the chart and canvas last month so that I could give it I try.




The design is Oh My Stars by Needle Delights.  I really like all the neutral colors in the middle of the design.  I am finding that I really like the needlepoint since you can get so much texture from the different stitches. I have also substituted some of the recommended DMC floss to DMC Pearl 5 for some additional texture.

Like most other stitchers, I always start a new project on New Years Day.  This years start was a model that I am stitching for Milady's Needle. Since it is a model I cannot show any pics but it is nearly done.

I also started something for me - Elizabeth Sheffield 1784 by Scarlet Letter



I am working this sampler on 35-ct Weeks Dye Works Beige using the recommended floss.  It has a lot of over one but I am going to substitute that with tent stitch since the motifs are really solid. I will do the lettering thta is specified as over one in complete crosses.  This should not be as bad as Jane Atkinson since it is on a larger count.



Comments

Margaret said…
All your projects are wonderful! Bummer about the over one verse on Jane being all that's left. I hate doing the verse! lol! I love Elizabeth Sheffield! I would do what you're doing with the tent and over one verse too. The needlepoint is lovely as well. Looking forward to seeing what you stitched for Milady's Needle when it is revealed. I hope you let us know what you stitched!
Michelle said…
Love your new starts. I really like all the texture that needlepoint gives a piece - it's one of the things that I like so much about specialty stitches, it just gives such an added dimension to a piece. I can't wait to see Jane Atkinson...I've been thinking about her since the January meeting. Sooo pretty! You're making me want to start her!
Sylvia said…
Oh, I love the Elizabeth Sheffield Sampler. Jane is on my must stitc list - just don't know when I will start her.

I cannot believe you have gone over to the Dark Side - Counted Canvas.... LOL.
Hope all is well on your end. We have had a challenging start of the year, and it does not look like its going to get any better soon. But such is life with children. The Paris show is coming up and I am very excited about it. I am also going to go to the open house at AVAS - should be fun as well. Any travel plans for over here?
Bertie said…
Your needlepoint project looks great. Oh Elizabeth Sheffield is just beautiful, a lot of stitching there but stunning :))
Deb said…
Both are wonderful new starts. Love the needlepoint piece especially with all the different squares and stitches in it. It reminds me of Nova. And I started Elizabeth Sheffield also, but have very little done. I'm focusing more on getting my Ann Medd done. She was my New Year's start back in 2006. I also started Jane Atkinson, but also have miserable progress on that as well.
Laurie in Iowa said…
Your needlepoint project looks wonderful. I'm currently stitching Jane Atkinson and I'm trying to stitch at least one thread length of the over one verse each time I work on the sampler. I know if I left it until the end it would sit unfinished.
Looking forward to seeing the model for the Milady's Needle project.
Those are both beautiful projects. I cannot wait to see them as you go along.
Peggy Lee said…
Beautiful work Robert!
Can't wait to see your progress.
Thanks for sharing.
Anonymous said…
hi Robert, I have just found your blog and became follower no. 101!
you have some beautiful stitching and the needlepoint piece you are working on looks stunning
I will be sure to stop by again soon
Natalia said…
Your counted canvas is looking great !! Oh gosh, I can't even think of starting something new. I have plenty with my cross stitch. I can't wait to see your progress.
Tracey said…
Beautiful work! I am with you, I'm trying to get all my last year's WIP finished first. It's hard to not start something new though!
Giovanna said…
Your canvaswork is stunning - what beautiful texture! Lovely stitching on Elizabeth too.
Anonymous said…
Glad to see you back, Robert. Your WIPs are gorgeous...love the needlepoint piece! Can't wait to see your model stitching for Milady's Needle...with her designs and your stitching, it will be something beautiful I'm sure.

Happy Stitchin'
Terri
Mary said…
I love your choice of projects. The canvas piece is one that I will be looking for. Love it!

Elizabeth is going to be stunning. Can't wait to see the progress.

Glad you're back, and happy stitching!
Mary said…
Robert would you please send me an email. I have a couple of questions about Robertson and I could not find your email address on your site. Thanks!
Unknown said…
Your canvas project is truly beautiful... I love the texture... I love your samplers!
Sue said…
Your needlepoint looks great. I read your comment about leaving the over one stitching, I've learned to do it as you go or else it doesn't get done. Good luck
JOLENE said…
I love the Elizabeth Sheffield design. I bought that a couple of months ago. I am still figuring out thread substitutes. Not too sure about the brights, I am excited to see your progress on this one. Smiles....
Dixygrl said…
I noticed that your lines is marked in squares. Did you mark it or can one purchase it that way? I enjoy your blog. Thank you.

Popular posts from this blog

Back in the Game!

Once again I have been away from my blog for way too long.  I get caught up in a lot of other things rather than posting pics of starts and finishes. These last couple of months have gone by way too fast. I have received a couple of messages from some followers making sure I was okay and looking forward to an update. I do have a few finishes and will spread these out over the next couple of weeks. First up is one that had been in the WIP pile for a long time -- Not For Us Alone from Amy Mitten.  Amy taught this piece at the Tudor Rose Sampler Guild back in the early 2000's (I cannot remember the date/year that I took the class). A friend of mine took the class with me and she had finished hers a long time ago. She recently moved and hung the sampler in her dining room.  So needless to say every time I go over to her house it was taunting me to get mine finished.  So here is my completed Not For Us Alone. Amy Mitten Designs Kit -Worked on 36-ct ...

Mary Allen 1818 Finished!

Once again I must thank all of you for your kind words and comments on my blog. I have meet some wonderful people in this venture who share the same passion for needlework. I was really surprised when I went to compose my blog post today and noticed that I have 199 followers. I will put something together for a little drawing so please stay posted. We finally have some decent weather in Texas (no +100F days since we had a cool front that moved into the area last night). Our high temperature for the day was only 81F and expected to get down into the low 60s overnight.  I could get use to this but we are expected to get back into the lower 90's by the end of the week.  But it is still try (no measureable rain received or expected) leaving us still in a severe drought situation. So we are still praying for rain. My goal was to finish Sampler's Rembered Mary Allen 1818 by Labor Day and I put the last stitches in on Saturday, September 3. ...

Christmas in July!

I would like to thank all of you for your kind comments, thoughts and prayers regarding my health issue. A brief update is provided at the end of the post. In my last post I had not yet decided whether to start something new or to finish something in my WIP pile.   It has been very hot here in North Texas so doing a couple of holiday pieces seemed to be in order. Jane Pattison 1806 by Shakespeare's Peddler I have had this chart in my stash since it first became available.   This piece really looks very looks and feels like a Christmas sampler with the border of green garland and candles.   I stitched this on 40-ct Lakeside linen using the recommended Gentle Arts Sampler Threads instead of the recommended wool threads. I did substitute the Harvest Basket with Gold Leaf since the Harvest Basket was very close in color to Cidermill Brown and I wanted to add a little bit of gold to the piece like in the picture on the pattern. I also stitch two bands...