Skip to main content

Progress on Jane (and other’s)

Hello fellow bloggers, friends and stitchers.  I have to admit that Jane has gotten the best of of me - I am nearly there but it is taken longer than I want to admit.  Here is a picture of the progress and a couple of close ups.

P9240015P9240017  P9240016 Not much further to go. Just a little bit more of the border, and then I can concentrate on the lettering, Adam and Eve.

In order to give myself a break and to give myself a small feeling of accomplishment, I decided to work on a couple of small things.

This is a small Irish Samplings pincushion by The Nostalgic Needle. This will be finished as an an ornament for an exchange in December. I worked this on 36-ct mystery fabric using some left over silks and Gentle Arts Sampler Threads.

Here are a couple of other ornaments that I have stitched up also for exchanges. (Just need to "finish" them). Both of them are from past issues of the Just Cross Stitch Christmas Ornament magazine.

I also stitched With My Needle's Quaker Hornbook. It is stitched on 36-ct Maple Sugar using Silk n Colors Chocolate Caramel (anyone hungry yet?). I took the picture with the linen folded and sitting on the hornbook.  I now need just need to finish it and mount it on the hornbook.

I have made good progress on my Celtic Wallace and Robertson.  The Wallace part is nearly complete with the exception of the gold work.  Decided to leave that until both parts are finished and I can mount it on stretcher bars to work all the outlining and braid stitches.

P9240022

As mentioned in my last post I started Toccatta 4 but quickly got a little bit bored with it so it has gone back into the WIP basket for now. Will show a picture of it next time I take it out of the basket.

When going through my WIP's I came across the Waterfield Band Sampler which I started about a year ago.  I started this after all 4 parts had been published in the Sampler and Antique Quarterly magazine.  I really liked the medallions on the bottom of the sampler so decided to start there and work my way up to the top and all the whitework.  Here is a picture of my progress.

As you can tell I like to jump around when stitching. Again I just get bored with doing the same stitch or color over and over again. There is a lot of running stitch in the middle section so hopefully I can get that completed enough to work my way on up into the second of four sections.  Really like this but it is going to be long.  Only about half of it is showing. I am doing mine on 36-ct fabric Pearled Barley (cannot tell by the picture – looks gold) using NPI silks instead of the AVAS called for in the pattern.  I have also changed some of the colors so that they stand out a bit more. Figured with all the work that is going into this that I want to be able to see the stitches instead of having them hidden.

You would think by looking at these pictures that I do everything on gold linen – but it is just the lighting and my camera. Hopefully the pictures will come out a little bit better when they are finished.

Comments

Hi Robert, I keep showing my husband your blog and work, and asking him why he can't be more like you. Your work and taste in samplers is fantastic. He doesn't get the sampler thing, but at least he appreciates the passion we stitchers share.
Margaret said…
What beautiful pieces you choose to stitch! I love them all! Don't blame you for starting at the bottom of the Waterfield Band Sampler. Smart! Hope Jane treats you right - she sure is a beauty!
Karen said…
Beautiful work, Robert! Love your Jane!
Hillery said…
What wonderful stitching. Jane is really coming along. She'll be finished in not time. I've been a follower for a while, but don't think I have ever posted. I do love your blog. Thanks for sharing.
Karen said…
Looks like you have been very busy! Love the design you stitched for the hornbook...the color is scrumptious!
Tracey said…
Wow!! All of them are lovely!! And you reminded me I want to do my Celtic Band Sampler soon. Thanks! :)
Natalia said…
Robert, great to hear from you !!! I love all of your work, but I must say that your Celtic Wallace sampler is my favorite. I am looking forward to seeing it finished.
MyLifesAStitch said…
Wow, Robert... Jane is absolutely gorgeous!

Wonderful work on your other pieces, as well!
Katrina said…
Everything is so pretty!!!! Jumping around is a good thing and you get a lot done :-).
Peggy Lee said…
After reading your post I think I should follow your example. I get so tired of stitching on one piece that I tend to burn out on stitching all together. I should have a few pieces in the works so I won't get bored with just one!
Thanks!!
Beautiful work by the way. :)
Michelle said…
Gorgeous progress on your WIPS. And I love the little hornbook. It's always good to fit in a few smaller things between those big pieces to give you a sense of accomplishment. Love everything. And good call on starting with those medallions at the bottom -they are beautiful!
Oh you have inspired me. I am just picking up stitching again after 20 years. My son is getting married and I want to make then a sampler. So I went up to the attic and brought everything down. Now I am wondering what took me so long. I intend to spend many of the cold days inside with my work.
staci said…
Beautiful projects and stitching!
Kerri said…
I followed a link from the TRSG blog and am in awe of your beautiful work. Thanks for the inspiration. I absolutely love the Jane Atkinson and can't wait to see it finished.

Kerri M.

Popular posts from this blog

Back in the Game!

Once again I have been away from my blog for way too long.  I get caught up in a lot of other things rather than posting pics of starts and finishes. These last couple of months have gone by way too fast. I have received a couple of messages from some followers making sure I was okay and looking forward to an update. I do have a few finishes and will spread these out over the next couple of weeks. First up is one that had been in the WIP pile for a long time -- Not For Us Alone from Amy Mitten.  Amy taught this piece at the Tudor Rose Sampler Guild back in the early 2000's (I cannot remember the date/year that I took the class). A friend of mine took the class with me and she had finished hers a long time ago. She recently moved and hung the sampler in her dining room.  So needless to say every time I go over to her house it was taunting me to get mine finished.  So here is my completed Not For Us Alone. Amy Mitten Designs Kit -Worked on 36-ct ...

Mary Allen 1818 Finished!

Once again I must thank all of you for your kind words and comments on my blog. I have meet some wonderful people in this venture who share the same passion for needlework. I was really surprised when I went to compose my blog post today and noticed that I have 199 followers. I will put something together for a little drawing so please stay posted. We finally have some decent weather in Texas (no +100F days since we had a cool front that moved into the area last night). Our high temperature for the day was only 81F and expected to get down into the low 60s overnight.  I could get use to this but we are expected to get back into the lower 90's by the end of the week.  But it is still try (no measureable rain received or expected) leaving us still in a severe drought situation. So we are still praying for rain. My goal was to finish Sampler's Rembered Mary Allen 1818 by Labor Day and I put the last stitches in on Saturday, September 3. ...

Christmas in July!

I would like to thank all of you for your kind comments, thoughts and prayers regarding my health issue. A brief update is provided at the end of the post. In my last post I had not yet decided whether to start something new or to finish something in my WIP pile.   It has been very hot here in North Texas so doing a couple of holiday pieces seemed to be in order. Jane Pattison 1806 by Shakespeare's Peddler I have had this chart in my stash since it first became available.   This piece really looks very looks and feels like a Christmas sampler with the border of green garland and candles.   I stitched this on 40-ct Lakeside linen using the recommended Gentle Arts Sampler Threads instead of the recommended wool threads. I did substitute the Harvest Basket with Gold Leaf since the Harvest Basket was very close in color to Cidermill Brown and I wanted to add a little bit of gold to the piece like in the picture on the pattern. I also stitch two bands...