Skip to main content

A Restart on Jane and an Update on Wallace/Robertson

My work life and personal life have been keeping me very busy over the past several weeks. So much so that I have been neglecting my blogging friends and hobby. I hopefully will get with the program to keep this blog more updated (even if it is just a post to say “HI”). I am going to be heading back to Tasmania at the end of the week so thought it would be best to go ahead and get an update posted for all of my blogging friends on what I have been up to in the stitching realm of my life.

First up – Jane (my new best friend)

In my previous post I showed progress on Jane Atkinson by Scarlet Letter. I was working away on the top portion of the flower border and started to get close to the left hand side of the linen. Fears of not having the linen big enough started going through my mind. I tend to measure to make sure that I will have at least 2 inches of extra linen around my project for framing purposes. I also tend to measure my linen and chart at least twice before I start just to make sure that I have the correct linen size (learned my lesson on that one when I did Dutch Beauty – had to restart that one also). Like they say “measure twice – cut once”. Anyway my worst fears were realized – not enough fabric on the right side to complete the design.

xstitch 001 xstitch

I really liked working on this piece so instead of completely throwing in the towel on the design I started over on another piece of fabric – 40ct Doeskin by Lakeside Linen. This time I just started it on a stitchers half that I had without cutting it down to size so that I knew I would have enough. Here is my progress so far.

xstitch 002

I tend to jump around a little bit because I get tired of working on the same thing. With this piece I usually do the outline of the flowers and then go back and do the fill in – which is always easier since it mostly all the same color.

Since Jane is all cross stitch I have been rotating back to the Wallace and Robertson Sampler by Needle’s Prayse.  Here is my progress so far.  I am working both patterns on one piece of linen.  This is a fun sampler to work on – even though it does have a lot of queen stitches.  I have finally gotten the hang of these down so I do not get so frustrated with them. I am saving most of the gold work for last.

 WallaceRobertson

In June, Vilma at Examplars from the Heart had a give-away to celebrate her one year blog anniversary and I was the lucky winner.  I received her Quaker Virtues – Wisdom and Quaker Virtues – Honesty charts along with two freeby charts and a special note. I look forward to stitching these and sharing them with the group.  Vilma is a very talented designer and I have completed a couple of her designs – And They Sinned (my favorite) and Serenity. Here is a picture of my completed Serenity. I really liked this border even though it got a little tedious at times.

Serenity

Apologies for the quality of the images. Still trying to get the hang of taking descent pictures of the needle work projects. 

Comments

Margaret said…
Such a bummer that you had to restart Jane! Ugh! But the new fabric looks so wonderful! I tend not to cut down my fabric until I've finished the borders so I know for sure the piece will fit. Good that you did that this time! I also love your Wallace and Robertson samplers. They're amazing! I'd love to do this one someday. Your Serenity is absolutely beautiful!
Karen said…
Probably every stitcher's greatest fear of not having enough fabric. It is a beautiful design and you had made great progress.

Your Wallace and Robertson sampler is amazing! Can't wait to see more on that one.

happy stitching....
Andrea said…
That would have just made me literally sick to my stomach to realize I was that far along on the top and didn't have enough linen! Wow! And then you started over! I admire you for that!

Jane is absolutely gorgoeus on the linen you chose, and your progress is amazing!

Your Robertson sampler is beautiful too. I cannot master the Queen stitch, no matter how many times I try, so I'll avoid that one, lol!

Be safe in your travels!
samplerlover said…
Hi Robert, I also worry about fitting my samplers on the linen that I have chose to work them. I have a beautiful SL sampler already kitted up and luckily for me I did the measure twice thing before starting and realized that I would only have half an inch on either side, so it is waiting until I can get a wider piece of 40ct. I also worry about fitting them into picture frames as I usually frame my samplers myself.

Jane is a really beautiful sampler and I have her in my basket waiting.

Don't forget to bring your long underwear with you when you come down to Tasmania. I live in the Blue Mountains in NSW and it has been very cold over the last few weeks. Tasmania is even colder. - Sandra.
Isabelle said…
Hello Robert , you made great progresses on your both samplers although you have a busy life .
Your Jane is turning out really gorgeous and be sure I'll look forward to seeing more ....Have a great day ,
Isa from France
SamplerNut said…
Robert,

As usual you are really working fast on your stitching!! I wish I had your speed. Can't wait to see these in person at the next guild meeting. Safe travels friend.

Gloria
Katrina said…
You and Margaret, I love Jane and one of these days I am going to stitch her :-). Bummer on having to restart her.

And the Wallace piece, OMG, love it!!!! It's so gorgeous.

Safe travels!!!
Michelle said…
So good to see a post from you!!! I am so sorry to hear you had to start over on Jane, that is such a disappointment. But, your restart is lovely and you're stitching like gangbusters on her! Your Wallace sampler is amazing - so different from Jane, so I can see why you're switching back and forth on these. Have a safe trip and I hope I get to see you in August!
Natalia said…
Robert, I can't imagine having to start all over, but I see you are doing well and stitching fast !!! Love how Jane looks so far... I love Vilma's designs also and I am about to start stitching The Shepherd and The Shepherdess, I love it !!! Nice hearing from you again...
Anonymous said…
OHHHH!! That is so sad! {dramatic gasping here} It's such a lot of work. :( Now I have to ask about dear Jane and her sasquatch-resembling A&E...will you stitch them as is, or will you try to make them more human looking?! Poor Jane, for all her lovely flowers, the human form in this one is lacking! ha!
Robert, so sad to hear you had to start Jane again, it was looking beautiful. I also want to thank you so much for your nice comment about winning the 2 Quaker Virtues.

Thank you for showing a picture of your "Serenity" and yes the border has alot of work, also thank you for stitching and liking "And They Sinned" hope one day you can share the pictures for my blog.
Karen said…
Bummer that you had to re-start Jane but you're making great progress! And I love your Wallace and Robertson; what a beautiful sampler. I love queen stitches. It took me a while to get the hang of them, but after I did, I just love them. You go!
MyLifesAStitch said…
Oh no!!! Props to you for starting over! I would've cried, passed out, then when I woke up I would've stomped the linen and pattern into the ground. :) I'm glad you decided to start again though... she's a beautiful one, that's for sure! As is W&R. Can't wait to see more. Safe travels!
Such beautiful work, Robert!
So glad I stumbled upon your blog,
Susan x

Popular posts from this blog

Back in the Game!

Once again I have been away from my blog for way too long.  I get caught up in a lot of other things rather than posting pics of starts and finishes. These last couple of months have gone by way too fast. I have received a couple of messages from some followers making sure I was okay and looking forward to an update. I do have a few finishes and will spread these out over the next couple of weeks. First up is one that had been in the WIP pile for a long time -- Not For Us Alone from Amy Mitten.  Amy taught this piece at the Tudor Rose Sampler Guild back in the early 2000's (I cannot remember the date/year that I took the class). A friend of mine took the class with me and she had finished hers a long time ago. She recently moved and hung the sampler in her dining room.  So needless to say every time I go over to her house it was taunting me to get mine finished.  So here is my completed Not For Us Alone. Amy Mitten Designs Kit -Worked on 36-ct ...

Mary Allen 1818 Finished!

Once again I must thank all of you for your kind words and comments on my blog. I have meet some wonderful people in this venture who share the same passion for needlework. I was really surprised when I went to compose my blog post today and noticed that I have 199 followers. I will put something together for a little drawing so please stay posted. We finally have some decent weather in Texas (no +100F days since we had a cool front that moved into the area last night). Our high temperature for the day was only 81F and expected to get down into the low 60s overnight.  I could get use to this but we are expected to get back into the lower 90's by the end of the week.  But it is still try (no measureable rain received or expected) leaving us still in a severe drought situation. So we are still praying for rain. My goal was to finish Sampler's Rembered Mary Allen 1818 by Labor Day and I put the last stitches in on Saturday, September 3. ...

Christmas in July!

I would like to thank all of you for your kind comments, thoughts and prayers regarding my health issue. A brief update is provided at the end of the post. In my last post I had not yet decided whether to start something new or to finish something in my WIP pile.   It has been very hot here in North Texas so doing a couple of holiday pieces seemed to be in order. Jane Pattison 1806 by Shakespeare's Peddler I have had this chart in my stash since it first became available.   This piece really looks very looks and feels like a Christmas sampler with the border of green garland and candles.   I stitched this on 40-ct Lakeside linen using the recommended Gentle Arts Sampler Threads instead of the recommended wool threads. I did substitute the Harvest Basket with Gold Leaf since the Harvest Basket was very close in color to Cidermill Brown and I wanted to add a little bit of gold to the piece like in the picture on the pattern. I also stitch two bands...